OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

Again both lines on our family plan have 2GB data limits. We don't hit ours and I use mine daily off of wifi even to stream music. I have hit just over 1GB in one month as my upper usage.

Both my wife and I are happy with our iPhone 4Ss. I don't see either of us going for an upgrade when the iPhone 5 comes out. There's no need really.

Personally I think the cost for smartphones is getting ridiculous in my honest opinion, even the subsidized price.

JamesJ said:
I think anytime you do anything video (netflix on the crapper, or like me I check security camera footage) it will bump you up a bit...

Yeah but I do both of those , security footage more than Netflix, and stream probably two hours of radio every morning. That's my main 3G usage as I am out of the office during that time and I don't approach the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah but I do both of those , security footage more than Netflix, and stream probably two hours of radio every morning. That's my main 3G usage as I am out of the office during that time and I don't approach the limit.

wonder how I hit 2.7 gigs, and I have done it more then once...must have been some serious streaming, or app downloading.

JamesJ said:
wonder how I hit 2.7 gigs, and I have done it more then once...must have been some serious streaming, or app downloading.

Maybe I just use wifi more than I think I do? I do know that all of the security cam footage and music streaming is 3G, and anytime I use thi app for sat guys, but beyond that I'm probably not on it as much as I think.

I doubt I'm at a gig now. Maybe right at.

Maybe I just use wifi more than I think I do? I do know that all of the security cam footage and music streaming is 3G, and anytime I use thi app for sat guys, but beyond that I'm probably not on it as much as I think.

I doubt I'm at a gig now. Maybe right at.

I can never get that darn my verizon widget to work with my galaxy nexus, dont know if its the phone or because I am on a corporate account.

I am close to 2gig right now with 3 days to go and that is a slow month.

ditto.
$50 for 1gb, and $100 for 10gb

this is a wtf moment for vzw
i just fired off an email indicating my dissapointment and calling the pricing structure plain stupid

If I am reading it right, this would actually lower my bill, and give me unlimited minutes versus what I have now. AND includes mobile hotspot (which I have through JB).

At the least, it would look to be the same price.

Edit: I checked. It will in fact be cheaper for me to swap to this when it comes out, and I gain more as well. I am pleased with it.

Last edited:
When I had to get my new AT&T phone I was SHOCKED that they still allowed me to keep my unlimited plan. To be fair it's really only 5GB followed by Dial up speeds, but I'm saving $240 a year by not using the standard 5GB plan. Come December of 2013 I think it's fair to say that my plan will have gone the way of the Dodo bird. It's only a matter of time before all plans like mine are eliminated.

This will cost our family more to move to this shared plan than our current plan with really the only difference being we would go from 1400 minutes to unlimited.

I was really hoping for a cost savings. To keep the same cost we would have to drop down to less of a data cap.

Verizon needs to rethink this in my honest opinion....

i looked at the new plan and it doesn't help me any . my usage is low , and i mean low. when i signed up back in the last week of Dec 2011 i signed for the 2 gb data plan with the thought of dropping back to the lower package as i figured out how much data plan i needed. well the plans changed shortly afterwards to 2gb and up only not allowing me to drop back to the lower rated data plan i think it was 250 mb . my data usage is less than 25 mb per month and second phone probably averages the same :( my plan cost about $160 .... ting is sounding better & better daily

a plan with them for me would be $48 a month plus 1k for the phones averaged out for 24 months = $42 that would make it $90 per month plus ting adjust usage rates so it could actually be lower .

anyone here using Ting ?

This would cost me more, because my wife doesn't have a smart phone and doesn't want one. We have 1400 mins but we don't even use 500, I have unlimited data right now. The only thing I would like is hotspot turned on.

oh i failed to mention we wifi (non cell network) 95% of the time . Verizon could impress me and develop a plan thats geared and prorated for this type of used but i don't think they will , its too much of a gravy train for them

So taking last month's usage:

Wife + I:
0 of 700 shared minutes
1454 texts (wow)
3.1 gb of data

This appears to be pretty consistent month to month... and I never use wifi at home and at work... so could even be improved upon.

Current Plan:
$70 - 700 Minutes
$30 - Unlimited data for her iPhone
$30 - Unlimited data for my Nexus
$30 - Unlimited texts

$160 before taxes, etc. minus an 8% corporate discount on the $70

###

Ideal share plan for the above:

Share Everything Calculator - Verizon Wireless

$40 - Smartphone (Nexus)
$40 - Smartphone (iPhone)
$70 - 4gb, Unlimited text/messaging

$150 before taxes, etc... corporate discount TBD.

And for $20-$30 I'd be up to $170-$180, get 2-4 more gb, and can add a tablet or hotspot... kind of appealing and much more reasonable than before.

At least when she upgrades in October this doesn't seem as bad as flat out losing unlimited, she's anxious to move on from her iPhone and back to a QWERTY Droid.

edit:

This is worth repeating now that the details are out.... :D

The problem with blanket statements is you're much more likely to be wrong. This will save me money... and probably a lot of people and is why they structured it the way they did. I like the way the monthly access fees are structured especially. $10 to add a tablet to my plan? Much more likely to happen now.

I'm sorry, but $50 for one gig of shared data is ludicrous. Even $100 for 10 gigs of data seems far too high. That doesn't even take into account the "access fees" for tablets ($10) and hotspots ($20). WTF is that? Right now I pay AT&T $30 for unlimited 4G data on my iPad. I pay Verizon $50 for five gigs of 4G data on my hotspot. Combining these onto a Verizon shared account (hypothetically since I can't convert the iPad from AT&T) I would save $50 which would allow me to purchase ONE gig of data to share across my devices? Ridiculous. Throw in the extra $30 I pay AT&T for unlimited data on my iPhone and I'd be able to share what, six gigs of data across my devices? Worthless!

This is not a win for consumers unless they are currently paying for way more data than they currently need across their devices.