OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

I don't doubt that this offering will be favorable to some people, especially family groups with multiple devices.

However, I now have a 450 minute voice plan (I use about 50 minutes) and unlimited data for which I pay $70 per month. Under this new plan, I would pay $90 per month for 1 gig data.

Surely, Verizon will offer individual plans for the almost 50 million single adults in this country.

Of course, I can keep my present plan as long as my phone keeps working, and even when it quits if I want to pay $600 for a new phone.

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless will allow people to keep their employee discounts with this new Share Everything Plan?

For people finding the new share everything plan is not saving it is probably because they are sharing with nothing, ie that only have one phone. The whole idea of this new plan is to bring several devices and phones under one price plan. that will save money.

Employee discounts- Does your discount list as a credit amount on your bill? If so then that will probably continue. If it is a plan designed for your company then you would probably lose that if you select a different plan.

The $40 smartphone charge is what is ridiculous... They should have at least a $10/month bring your own phone option - you could save $720 over 2 years to buy your new phone. Why $40 for a phone but only $10 for a tablet?

Perhaps the first phone free?

It's the Share Everything Plan... not replacing individual plans that I've seen.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was basing my assumption on this article Verizon to ditch phone plans, go with shared plans - Yahoo! Finance

I suppose we'll know in a few weeks.

If you go here Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data. and use their calculator, even if you tell it you've only one phone and use 30 minutes voice, 10 text, and 1 gig data per month, it says you should go with the Share Everything plan. If they're keeping the individual plans, that's just not true.

It's funny, but in their press release they say that 1 gig should be enough for two smartphones reasonably used. Yet, in their calculator, they say that the typical smartphone uses about 1 1/2 gigs.

The $40 smartphone charge is what is ridiculous... They should have at least a $10/month bring your own phone option - you could save $720 over 2 years to buy your new phone. Why $40 for a phone but only $10 for a tablet?

Perhaps the first phone free?

Because they want you to be comfortable adding more devices like tablets, which may bring more value to more expensive data plans.

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless will allow people to keep their employee discounts with this new Share Everything Plan?
I've seen some comments on Twitter alluding to losing employee discounts with these new plans. VZW has responded to some "comments", but I didn't see any to these type of tweets. They are repeating "you don't have to switch" to a number of people though ! :)

Why $40 for a phone but only $10 for a tablet?

Ever consider the smart phone offers CDMA voice communications, Long distance service, and texting, and data. The tablet is just the data. 4 service feature device vs.one service feature device. Kind of simplistic but maybe it is just that simple. When I first saw the rates, I thought, Now that is a logical, simple price structure.

This is the key right here. As long as my data remains unlimited, I'm not changing anything.

If you use that much data you should stick with unlimited. Not hard to use that much. Just stream two video security cameras for 6 hours and that will burn 1.5 Gb. Ask me how I know that? :( I left my ipad in standby with the security camera app loaded in the background while the ipad was packed in my suitcase. Live and learn and pay up!

Last edited: