OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

Except in this case, some of us actually are. I will end up with more data across my three lines, more (unlimited) minutes of talk time, and the same on texts(unlimited), for less money. :) If you have a very recent plan, depending on how many phones you have, the type, and your usage, this can very well save you money.

Of course you were limited to begin with. My wife is planning on getting an iPhone when her upgrade comes up in the middle of July. I guess I can kiss my unlimited plan goodbye, unless I buy her a used phone. Grrr....

We have been with Verizon now for 10 years...I dont know the exact number but rates have gone up, first it was minutes then text, now data...but they always group something else with it to make it seem like you are getting a deal when in turn your not.

My *bill* has gone up in response to me needing more from my service and changing it... but my charges have never increased just because I was previously not unlimited and Verizon is able to tinker with the plans easier like you are suggesting.

Sounds like FUD to me.

I've been with Verizon for 7 years myself.

Like always, competition will dictate that we get more and more for our money. These plans are far more reasonable than some others we've seen for data in the past (exhibit A for why I've never owned a cellular-capable tablet), and will only get more reasonable as prices and the amount of data are tweaked as competition dictates, rather than the polar opposite - decrease data and increase the price further - driving customers away.

Last edited:
I'm still on an old alltel unlimited plan and confirmed yesterday that changing plans would increase monthly by $32. No thank you..

Same here. My plan has been the same since I started with Alltel. We'll be keeping it as long as possible. If one day they begin to force changes, we'll look at all the options/companies out there.

meStevo said:
My *bill* has gone up in response to me needing more from my service and changing it... but my charges have never increased just because I was previously not unlimited and Verizon is able to tinker with the plans easier like you are suggesting.

Sounds like FUD to me.

I've been with Verizon for 7 years myself.

Like always, competition will dictate that we get more and more for our money. These plans are far more reasonable than some others we've seen for data in the past (exhibit A for why I've never owned a cellular-capable tablet), and will only get more reasonable as prices and the amount of data are tweaked as competition dictates, rather than the polar opposite - decrease data and increase the price further - driving customers away.

If you break down your cost per minute/text/megabyte it has gone up plain and simple...and we changed plans twice once to get unlimited in calling and once for something else...plus thungs will never get cheaper..trust me.

JamesJ said:
plus thungs will never get cheaper..trust me.

They will for me when these new plans go into effect.

You blanket statement throwing thing you. :p

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm calling them tomorrow to find out what the plan will look like after my state discount. And to beg to see if they will let my wife upgrade to an iPhone three weeks early. She is itching for it.

rockymtnhigh said:
I'm calling them tomorrow to find out what the plan will look like after my state discount. And to beg to see if they will let my wife upgrade to an iPhone three weeks early. She is itching for it.

You should have no problem..as long as its by the 28th you won't have to take the new plans...by the way why not the siii :D

I ordered an HTC Rezound today to get my last subsidized phone upgrade before the deadline. I'm pretty happy with my Droid X now but may want/need 4G in a few months. I thought about just buying a used one in the future or paying full price for a new one, but used Rezounds are selling for over $300 now on eBay. If I don't like the HTC, I'll just sell it and buy something different and I'm still money ahead.

I ain't giving up my $30 unlimited data until they pry it from my crying hands. :)

rvvaquero said:
I ordered an HTC Rezound today to get my last subsidized phone upgrade before the deadline. I'm pretty happy with my Droid X now but may want/need 4G in a few months. I thought about just buying a used one in the future or paying full price for a new one, but used Rezounds are selling for over $300 now on eBay. If I don't like the HTC, I'll just sell it and buy something different and I'm still money ahead.

I ain't giving up my $30 unlimited data until they pry it from my crying hands. :)

Its a great phone but it has awful battery life without an extended battery. It's not ThunderBolt bad, but it's not great either.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Its a great phone but it has awful battery life without an extended battery. It's not ThunderBolt bad, but it's not great either.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Thanks. I read about a 1,000 reviews and 997 of them mentioned short battery power, but that's pretty typical of most 4G phone reviews.

My primary use for a phone is tethering to my laptop as I'm constantly traveling. If I can't use Foxfi or PDA.net or something similar on the Rezound, I'll just sell it and buy something else. I just couldn't see letting that subsidy pass.

If you break down your cost per minute/text/megabyte it has gone up plain and simple...and we changed plans twice once to get unlimited in calling and once for something else...plus thungs will never get cheaper..trust me.

As posted in the thread, the service is getting cheaper for many of us. The only thing that has remained the same is FUD is free.

As posted in the thread, the service is getting cheaper for many of us. The only thing that has remained the same is FUD is free.

for some, not for all
when i upgrade i will be forced to switch.
based on my usage, it will be @ 30 or more per month
the unavailabilty of high speed internet in rural locations has people using thier phone, or usb device
the gb can add up

meStevo said:

Lol okay...your right I am spreading fud... and when you say many you mean a couple of you...I am away right now but please look at the surveys of if the price will increase and you will see majority of people it goes up a lot.

Lol okay...your right I am spreading fud... and when you say many you mean a couple of you...I am away right now but please look at the surveys of if the price will increase and you will see majority of people it goes up a lot.

Yeah? Which polls and price increases were you referencing with this gem?

HECK NO... not at all....at least not this year...and yes neutron Employee discounts still apply....one thing to think about with these plans is this...once they get you off unlimited data they can do whatever they want to toy with numbers and work it in their favor...I dont think this is the end game for these plans and in a year or two the price increase will start on not only the data side but also the plan side as well :(

It's all fear mongering to crap on the news is all. Nobody said this was perfect, people have said it will increase and decrease their bills, overall (and I say this as a currently unlimited customer) I LOVE the direction this is going. Competition will dictate that prices decrease as other carriers introduce their family data plans. Before things like tablets and mobile hotspot functionality was just tacked onto existing approaches to data charges, now they're part of the family and addressed much more reasonably.

If you look at it this way:

Voice takes 32kbits/sec, or 4kbytes/sec - 1 GB of data transfer is 1 million k or 250,000 seconds or 4166 minutes of talk time. By having each phone cost $40, you are looking at them allocating 4GB of data cost, or 16k minutes of talk time and over 1 million texts.

This is why they are trying to lock in the $40/phone rates, if they went to all data they would lose a huge amount of revenue, I would speculate most people talk less than 16k minutes a month and send/receive less than 1 million texts.

Chatting with VZW right now. To go from 3 smartphones unlimited to family share after discounts we will go to $185+tax for 6GB of shared data.

Begging her to let my wife upgrade a month early to an iPhone. And they said yes.

But this is definitely costing me more money, but provides hot-spot tethering, which is valuable to us both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts