OK all electronics stores SUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
I just got back from Best Buy. Was planning on buying a wireless router so I could use my work laptop when I get home. Found one with a with router and wireless usb adaptor for $39.99 GREAT DEAL RIGHT, well I get up to the counter and the girl who probably knows nothing about electronics at all rang the item up and it was $85.00 :confused: . I told here that was not right and she wanted me to show her were I got it. I take here back and there it is in big number 39.99 then she gets closer and points to some small ass print 79.99-40.00 mail in rebate. I mean if you are just looking at the item you cannot even see it standing at normal distance from the price tag. I guess they think people will get it to the counter then be to embarrassed to put it back when the find out the real price.

I mean WTF is a mail in rebate? That is the stupidest bunch of sh*t someone could have ever come up with. "ooh let me have some of your money and I will give you this and...um in 6 to 10 weeks I will send you some of your money back......and...um dont be surprised if it takes me 6 or 8 months till I decided to send you your money.

That sucks. The only reason I went to Best Buy was I hate Circuit City which also sucks, and dont even let me get started on Radio Shack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eerrrrrrrrr

you must not frequent these stores very much? Rebates took over electronics and computer stores in the last couple of years. Instead of actually putting things on sale, they just throw a rebate on them. I agree that it does get very old.

Odd, the circular does mention After Mail-In Rebates* very clear and I also saw this at my local BB and the sign itself was very legible.

I've always said, if you want a good deal on anything nowadays.. there's always a rebate behind the truth.

Why rebates you ask? They figure that 50% of Us wont even bother doing them so that's the reason behind soooo many rebates.

pro96 said:
Odd, the circular does mention After Mail-In Rebates* very clear and I also saw this at my local BB and the sign itself was very legible.

I've always said, if you want a good deal on anything nowadays.. there's always a rebate behind the truth.

Why rebates you ask? They figure that 50% of Us wont even bother doing them so that's the reason behind soooo many rebates.

No below the Item were the price is you basicly have to get 2 feet away before you can read it. And I know all about the rebate scam.

It's gotten to the point that I won't buy anything if there's a rebate attached. They are such a scam. The stores love them because they get better cash flow and they do get people to come in when they advertise the lower prices.
If you do go for the rebate you gotta remember to:
1) Supply ALL the documentation they want. If you leave out anything at all no matter how trivial it will screw up your rebate forever.
2) Make copies of everything before you send it. You'll need them if they decide they don't like something you sent in.
3) Be prepared to WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. Costco is pretty fast, though if you do the rebate online.
They do count on a lot of people not bothering to redeem the rebate because it's too much of a hassle. It's like someone getting a gift card and forgetting to use it before the expiration.

I remember seeing an article somewhere that it is upwards of 60% of people do not send them in at all/fill them out incorectly or forget to include something in the rebate form. Although it sucks for us it is great for them. I have learned to lee with them.

Drop that linksys and get a neatgear setup. Save $20 total even after the rebates for the linksys.

wg511 pcmcia and wxx614 router. I plugged them in and it worked first time w/ no problems.

My wife and I won't buy anything that has a rebate.

Not only have we been burned by Circuit City but Directv as well on the rebate game.

i have never had any problems with rebates. i feel if you are willing to pay upfront, some of the deals are too good to pass up. i have not paid for norton system works in five years. always get it free after rebates. the list goes on and on, you just have to be real careful when filling them out and make copies of everything.

I have submitted perhaps 100 rebates, and never had a problem. Not one.

What I have read on some of the rebate web sites is that some folks miss sending an item, include the wrong item, or send a copy of something instead of an original (when required). Many of the manufacturers also now include an e-mail confirmation and or a confirmation web site for tracking of the rebate itself.

On average, I get my rebates in 4-5 weeks.

I hate the rebate game. You have to wait 8 weeks or so to get it and in the interim Best buy uses it to make 2 months interest off of your money!

vurbano said:
I hate the rebate game. You have to wait 8 weeks or so to get it and in the interim Best buy uses it to make 2 months interest off of your money!

You are right on .... what you stated is the most acurate reason for the rebates, they make interest off the mony that is sitting till they send out your rebate check

followed by, a lot of people do not send them in.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
You are right on .... what you stated is the most acurate reason for the rebates, they make interest off the mony that is sitting till they send out your rebate check

followed by, a lot of people do not send them in.

Jimbo
That is only 1/2 of the scam. There is also Visa and Mastercard who are making additional interest if you charged it and who are also hoping that you do not use the rebate money to pay down the debt. Im sure they are all in bed together. The retailers and the credit card companies. IMO the mail in rebate thing should be outlawed. It is a business practice invented to take advantage of consumers. Sort of a skimming operation.

Last edited:
The only rebate problem I've had lately was with Sirius. Sent them the UPS from the back including the part number...same part number clearly shown on the eligible list...then got it returned saying the UPC wasnt from an eligible product. :rolleyes:

Called the "appeal" number was was told I could only send the same information back again thru the mail...and apparently wait another 4-6 weeks. I love the Sirius service itself, but so far their rebates are crap! :(

Well I'm not going to get into the I hate/not hate rebates game, however I have done several and have had no problem getting any of them.
Well maybe I will say a little bit....I don't like them either, but I get some good deals it, just takes a few weeks to get money back......How many people pay and don't send in the proper info to get the rebate I would say at least 50% probably more.

Personally, I like rebates. I always send them in and always get reimbursed. If you follow the instructions to the letter, you'll get your rebate.

The reason I like them is that many do not send in for them. This means that rebates usually offer more dollars off than a sale price would for those of us who do send in for them.

As for the cost of the money, let's take a $30 rebate for example. If you have a 6% interest rate and it takes 2 months to get the rebate, you will have lost $0.30 on the transaction ($30 x 0.5% x 2). Seems like a fair exchange to me.

If everyone responded to rebates, they would most likely go away. It costs the store more to process a rebate than it would just to discount the merchandise.

Never had a problem with them and regularly use them regardless of the 4 - 8 weeks it takes to get the rebate. I figure that I save upwards of $1,000 - $2,500 a year on rebates so if saving money on rebates aint your thing well then feel free to send me some money.

I never had a problem with rebates but I do have a problem with the price listed for items by Best Buy and Circuit City. The final price is very big while the after rebate crap is in very, very small print and is misleading IMO. Class action if there ever was a reason to do one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts