OK, final Rcvr input

And the thread was already morphing into one about the Klipsch sub as well :)

BTW, I consider the Klipsch to be a reasonable sub, and not one of the extended bass ones I was discussing. Probably not as much punch or quite as clean as the Velodyne, but a reasonable price/performance tradeoff. Just wanted to throw that in lest you think I was putting down the Klipsch 12"

The 12" was a choice, but its just to big for the area I have :(

My neighbor just came over and is starting his 5.1 system. He is looking at Klipsch Sub-10 ($400), Polk PSW-10 ($120 +), PSE125 ($350).

CNET seems to like both the Sub-10 & the PSW-10 pretty much the same at ? 3 1/2 stars.

What Polk sub are you upgrading from?

PSW10. It bottoms out too easy, and is only 50 watts compared to the Klipsch 220. The Klipsch will also go lower than the Polk. I wouldnt even consider them in the same league.

Ya know, looking at the sub-12, the measurements are that bad. I'm thinking since its down firing and doesnt have a port aiming/firing issue, it should not matter how its pointed and the sub-12 would fit fine. Boy does it go low and have some freaking power.

Edit: appears the port is firing out of the backside, which is fine because the sub would be pointing at the wall behind me, which means the port would be firing at the wall we face (wall behind the tv).

I use gold plated banana plugs from Acoustic Research. They are not angled though.
If your space is tight you can consider using spades instead. I use those in my audio-only system.
They are not as easy to use as banana plugs though.
I guess I never thought about using spades. With my Denon receiver, would those fit just fine in the back of the receiver of where you have to insert the wire? I do have some angled banana plugs but they are the twist on kind. They are never secure so I took those off and are using bare wire at the moment.

When I finally upgraded my speaker system to a 7.1 (Klipsch all the way), I was stunned. The difference was amazing- and I don't consider myself to have particularly good hearing.

The high quality center speaker made a HUGE difference. The sub added even more than I expected, over my old sub. 5.1 is superb (I've started buying SACD/DVD-A again), and what little 7.1 I can get is appreciated.

Even moving to banana plugs was a good move. I'd previously used bare wire, figuring I wouldn't be changing or moving things around enough to bother with. However, I've found that I do need to "get back there" more than I realized, and the plugs not only look better, they are far easier to remove, get out of the way, and plug back in. The only thing I would do differently, had I do it over again, is get the double banana plugs. Minor, but a nicety.

Now to finish my fight with my old JVC receiver, which I moved to the MBR, to get it to 5.1 properly.

Ya know, looking at the sub-12, the measurements are that bad. I'm thinking since its down firing and doesnt have a port aiming/firing issue, it should not matter how its pointed and the sub-12 would fit fine. Boy does it go low and have some freaking power.

Edit: appears the port is firing out of the backside, which is fine because the sub would be pointing at the wall behind me, which means the port would be firing at the wall we face (wall behind the tv).

Play around with placement until you get what seems like even response, I don't recommend firing that port towards the wall. No reason other than my JBL sounded quite bad when I tried that placement. I have the port firing across the room.

I have with the polk, but this sub may be diff. With the Polk, I put the sub behind the tv stand and had it firing towards the wall we face, it made the bass seem much better. When I had it pointing towards a wall somewhat behind us, it almost had no impact.

These two subs are in 2 diff leagues too, so im pretty excited.

Are you planning on using both subs? I would. I have a Velodyne and a JBL hooked together. The Velodyne (12") is in the front left corner, and the JBL is along the right wall about 6' from the right front corner, with the port firing across the room. This arrangement really smoothed out my bass response in my room. Adding in the Audyssey correction after, smoothed out the final room nodes nicely. Highly recommended. BTW, I just used y-plugs to connect them both into the sub-output on my ONKYO 805.

Are you planning on using both subs? I would. I have a Velodyne and a JBL hooked together. The Velodyne (12") is in the front left corner, and the JBL is along the right wall about 6' from the right front corner, with the port firing across the room. This arrangement really smoothed out my bass response in my room. Adding in the Audyssey correction after, smoothed out the final room nodes nicely. Highly recommended. BTW, I just used y-plugs to connect them both into the sub-output on my ONKYO 805.

Interesting. I'm more a fan of trying to match speakers to the application, but I am even more of a fan of experimenting and doing what works. My first thought would be that the JBL would have given more mid bass than deep bass and that it wouldn't have really good definition.

Which Velodyne, and what are your main speakers?

We are renting the home and it's not really setup for two. I'll save the sub for when we buy and give it a shot then. Also waf, and I think this 12 may push the limits. :)

Interesting. I'm more a fan of trying to match speakers to the application, but I am even more of a fan of experimenting and doing what works. My first thought would be that the JBL would have given more mid bass than deep bass and that it wouldn't have really good definition.

Which Velodyne, and what are your main speakers?

Good call there on the JBL. It does provide more mid bass than plumbing the depths. That's the Velodyne's job. (URL-12 if I remember right. Old model about 20 years old or so, but the sound is so good, I've never felt the need to replace it. Sound definition is good enough to tell an acoustic bass from electric, plus it goes down below 20hz.) The JBL was part of a complete satellite package, refurbished, that I bought on E-bay directly from JBL for under $200. Probably could have gotten it cheaper, it turned out I was the only bidder! The Satellites were sold off when I upgraded the rest of my speakers back to Magnepan. The original Maggie 1.6's were relocated from my house by some crackhead. Up front I have wallmounted MC-1's, in the rear, wall mounted MMG-w's. Center and back surround are MMG-c's. $750 for the front pair, $300 for the rear pair, and $300 apiece for the MMG-c's. Under $3000 for all the speakers and subs. Sonic heaven for me. Seemless sound through out the room. Maggies do a great job of disappearing, and sound more like music to me than any other speakers I've ever owned, and I've owned more than I'll ever be able to list. After I move and the little ones grow up, I will upgrade the fronts back to 1.6's. I will be upgrading the center speaker to a CC3 when finances allow.

Well it was a VERY good suggestion to go to a local home theater shop to compare subs. My neighbor was going to shop for a quality sub. I tagged along, bringing one of my two KLH 10" subs to plug in there to compare. NOW I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! :D

The shop mainly (just?) sells Paradigm speakers. He listened to the 10" (3100 for $500), the 12" (3200 for $700). Not wanting to spend over $500, but really preferring the 12", he just sat there listening a long time. The owner realized he was not going to sell either of theses to Tim, he pulled a new in box discontinued 12" from back room. It was not as clean or pronounced on the base drum (Tim is a drummer), so he paused longer. THEN the owner says he has a customer return on upgrade for $350 if he wants to hear it.

It was a 15" Paradigm Servo-15a (400 watts) . Holy cow! This was a whole different lever of quality sound. We both loved it. As Tim was finishing up his paper work, the owned mentioned he had another one as his 2nd sub in his home system, while he waited for the current model Paradigm 15" Signature to come in. He said he'd sell it for $350 as well! I was not looking to spend money, but this $1,500 msrp ($675- $750 used on line I've seen) seems too good to pass up. I will be getting this one. I am jazzed. I just love super deals on good quality stuff. :D

Anyone familiar with these Servo-15a subs? Any reason to take pause on this sub at $350?

Why do you want to buy from Amazon when you can buy from a place like 6th ave. who is an authorized dealer?
With the coupon code AFLAUD25 you get 25% off of eligible receivers.
Here are the prices at 6th ave with the discount and free shipping:

Denon AVR1909 = $449.25

QCK & Elway:
Went to 6Ave and I see the code still works (good). But the price with code I was shown was $486. This matches 25% off $649. $449.25 would be 30.7% off $649.

Elway, what price did you pay?
Again, would this deal qualify as too good to pass up, if you were planning to upgrade, but not until down the road?
Thanks for the great info and advice from all here.

You people are costing me $$$$ ! ;)

PS... Anyone have any idea when the 25% code discount ends at 6Ave.com ? Or, put another way, how much time I have to WASTE sitting on the fence in indecision... :eek:

I have come up short by being a day late on other discount offers... (bad taste in mouth). :eek:

Well it was a VERY good suggestion to go to a local home theater shop to compare subs. My neighbor was going to shop for a quality sub. I tagged along, bringing one of my two KLH 10" subs to plug in there to compare. NOW I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! :D
Glad I could help :) Fun to see the light dawn.

Anyone familiar with these Servo-15a subs? Any reason to take pause on this sub at $350?

I've auditioned one. No reason at all to hesitate at that price. Well bought.

Davekro that code AFLAUD25 still works, the problem is that the base price that they offered for the receivers went up on the 1909 from $599 to $649 & the 2809 from $999 to $1199. Probably the base price will drop in the future again as anything I buy eventually drops big time in price! lol

I got the 2809 Xmas eve. I have all of the back main inputs used already! Three devices using HDMI and three devices using Component connections. This receiver is great with the PS3!

Probably the base price will drop in the future again as anything I buy eventually drops big time in price! lol

QCK,
Oh, you mean like when I buy stocks ? ? :rolleyes:

Well my wife pushed me off the fence and I fell right on the 'finalize purchase' link on the 6Ave site page I just happened to have open. Hey sweetie, it was an accident, act of God, whatever. I just know it's not my fault. ;o)

Actually, when I told her about the 'sound evening' feature, she liked that.

Thanks to all for the great info. but like I said before...

Hanging out here is a drain on the wallet! :D

QCK & Elway:
Went to 6Ave and I see the code still works (good). But the price with code I was shown was $486. This matches 25% off $649. $449.25 would be 30.7% off $649.

Elway, what price did you pay?
Again, would this deal qualify as too good to pass up, if you were planning to upgrade, but not until down the road?
Thanks for the great info and advice from all here.

You people are costing me $$$$ ! ;)

I think its a great deal, I paid $449.25 out the door with free S&H.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)