Ok impressed with win7 network backup

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
As I had mentioned in the folding thread my HD failed on one of my machines. This was the first real test of win7 backup. With Vista/XP I always used an USB drive. With my win7 machines I had them backup to NAS.

So, I was a bit anxious about it. I was thinking I might have to copy the image from the NAS to an USB disk to do the restore. I booted up my win7 installation DVD, selected repair and clicked through the stuff to get to network restore. Gave it the \\nas\folder location and typed in the username and password and it found it. It went to work restoring, I went out for an appointment, came back and the restore is done and it is rebooted right back into windows.

Very nice. I have it set to do a weekly backup to the NAS. Much better than having to worry about when I last hooked up the USB drive and did a backup. This is by far the easiest restoration process I ever had. And the new automatic backups sure are nice.

FYI I think it is only business and ultimate that have the network backup feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)