Ok it's finally right!

orl2222

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Just got "reinstalled" today, after a two week wait. New Dish, system grounded, new box,LNB. The software update downloaded, along with the guide. I'm at a steady 97. Did have a lil problem with the installer, when he seen what the previous installer did, he was worried he would not get paid for a "reinstall". Got on the phone to installs inc, the supervisor told him that he would. I'm in the Los Angeles area, the installer told me that I had the highest signal of all the installs here in the L.A. area, everybody elseis in the high 80's or 90 even. So, finally, after two weeks its working flawlessly.

A success story from Whittier!! What the heck did the first installer do that turned out to be wrong? Was it faulty equipment, or just the fact that he was in a hurry? In any event, it's good to hear that you are now 're-installed'.

As you gathered from my previous posts, I had a rushed original install. Dish not grounded, the actual LNB arm where it is tack welded fell apart. I do believe the installer gave my my first STB that was defective from a previous job, it was not in a box, but in a plastic bag(not the bag that the STB's come out of the box).Very botched install. The second installer moaned about redoing eveything.I don't blame VOOM itself for all the problems, I just think that they need to get the installers under control. The second installer complained to me that he is a independent contractor, that VOOM does not pay enough for installs etc.The funny thing in all this, after finally getting him to reinstall the system, He had seen my D* install, and asked to look at HD on my 40" Sony XBR800 using D*. So I showed him HDNet on D*, there was a cart race on, he wanted to order a pizza, so that he could stay at my house and watch the race!

I do beleive VOOM would be better served by hiring their own company installers that really care about the product. Looking back in retrospective, I would have payed a upfront fee to have my system installed, rather then offer free install with installers that niether care about the product, or complain about the lack of pay, etc.

I would have gladly payed up to 150.00 to get it right the first time, then have to wait two weeks to finally get it right.

orl2222 said:
I would have gladly payed up to 150.00 to get it right the first time, then have to wait two weeks to finally get it right.

First off, it's good to hear things are finally right.

Secondly, the sad fact is that the 'bad' installers are out there installing V*, D* and E*. It seems like it's the luck of the draw when trying to get a good one....and an injustice to those installers that give a damn and do a good job. I think it's why many of us would rather have the opportunity to just do it ourselves. I've installed multiple Sat dishes and other than access problems, it's generally a walk in the park.

Orl,

Did you know the installers first name? I was installed in Santa Monica and they got it the first time.

My sig is 92 so yours is great!

I agree. I would much rather do my own install. When i first go D* i did my own install worked for a good 9 yrs, no problem. I think Voom feels that by having it " professionally done" that the sucess of the product would be better served. Not to upset the majority of good installers out there, Voom needs to offer the option to thoose of use that can do it ourselves. Or, at the least, farm out installs to local satillite companies, not independent contractors. Being a former service mananger for a ford dealer, if a technician that worked for me did that kind of shotty work, or bemaoned to a customer that he wasn't getting paid right so that's all I'm gonna do for you, would have been fired on the spot.

Ultimately, however good of service VOOM is offering(I do really like their programing) to the majority of people, the installer is the last person in the chain to "touch" VOOM's customers. It is this impression that customer's view VOOM as a whole. As far as I see it, you can offer the best product in the world, but if you hire installers that feel they offering you a favor by installing VOOM, or have a negative view of the product as a whole(my first installer" I'll just install it here, so that when you cancell the service, it's easier for me to take down") VOOM has got to remember that without a total satisfactory install experience, it will hender their hopes of growing as a whole. When i was a service manager, stats bore out one conclusion,
If you pissed off customers, the worst advertising you could have is word of mouth, A upset customer will often tell friends, family, co-workers their experiences about your product or service.I know this sounds like a rant, but ther is a reason D* has won several customer satisfaction awards from J.D. Power and assoicates, it's not always about the product, but providing a good exprience overall, and handling issues in a timely and efficient manor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)