old c band channel master please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
A friend of mine from mandsport NY has found and acquired a channel master c band dish. Not sure if the motor is good or not. He thinks he has an old receiver from 1996 but not sure. Apparently it doesn't have the long arm and motor but the motor that is on the back and very heavy. This is what is already done. Dish is mounted. He thinks semi pointed same as his old dish that he had gotten rid of in 96. Waiting to mount the arms that mount the lnbf. There are two coaxal cables already there and the old power wires. The cables and power wires run to the two TVs in his house. Since last used he had time warner cable but now going back. I have not personally had c band. I had Ku band at home. Wife had me removed from home and filed for divorce. I can't go home. I had an open box s9 and a s10 . I was getting Ku FTA off two satellite dishes. One fixed and one motorized. I had a two room set up disec and some other switch. Had geosat lnbfs not universal. But c band I am not sure how to get set up. I told my friend that it would be best to get a receiver that does internet TV as well like YouTube. But I think money wise he is better off with a basic receiver. So if you all could help. Knowing its a channel master dish and motor. What switches, hook ups inside and out for two room set up, lnbf and box will be headed to get this bud up and running? I want to set up a separate Ku dish aimed at galaxy 19. Looking for good prices but not junk. My open box s9 was a good box. I didn't know if the newer models were as good. But hope that the experiences of others good help me get pointed in the right direction.

A receiver from '96 isn't going to 'cut it' on C band today as most is DVB-S2. I'd take a look at the Amiko Mini HD SE.
Sounds like it's on a HtH motor, instead of an actuator. Check it out, lubrication is key. May be some chains in there also. (streatched or worn)
open it up and take some pics to post. Members here will have suggestions on 'what to look for'.
For aligning the BUD I'll refer you to a page I wrote. Prime Focus BUD & the polar Mount
1) For independent channel/polarity selection from each receiver, all that's required is a dual output LNBF. (and 2 FTA receivers) only one receiver is connected to the dish mover (Gbox, Vbox, ASC1) tho.
2) If only viewing from one TV location at a time, use only one FTA receiver and push the A/V into a TV modulator and send it to the other TV.
Use a 'remote extender' to operate the FTA box from the remote location.
3) Also only 'good' if viewing from one location at a time. A diode steared splitter (2 way) Each receiver wired to the splitter, then to the dish mover, then a single coax to the dish. Each receiver can control the dish mover.
4) there's probably other ways to 'skin this cat' that may be suggested from others.
GL and sorry to hear about your personal problems.

A 22Khz switch is all you'd need. 0 Khz side to the C Band LNBF, 22Khz side to the Ku LNBF.
Link is to a particular Satelliteguy member's listing. Not saying you have to purchase from anyone in particular tho-

originally planed to do a seperate 36" ku dish. Would it be easier to do a c- ku lnbf combo for the bud instead? And what would that require?

IMHO separate is easier*. It takes careful 'tweaking' ,and very accurate polar mount 'aiming' as the beamwidth at Ku for a BUD is just a fraction of a degree.
Also, (again MHO) the surface accuracy of consumer BUD's is not up to the specifications needed for the performance they 'could' exhibit on Ku. Think that when a typical BUD is tuned to the "T" the performance is comparable to that of a 90cm dish.
BUT if you can have a solid surface dish, like a Birdview that's in tip top shape, you could tweak the performance up from the 90cm . A commercial dish would be even better.
Again all this is my opinion only, YMMV.
*Instead of hours upon hours getting the mount tracking to within .25 degrees, and hours tweaking the C/Ku LNBF set to some acceptable degree of performance on both bands. (most find the optimum 'alignment' of them does not peak in the same place for each band) Putting up a fixed Ku dish normally takes less than an hour (not including the pole as some may go up in less than an hour to a few if planted in cement in ground)
Here's what I did instead of a motorized Ku. I mounted the Ku to the BUD. Tracks along with the BUD - - http://fatair.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=186518281

I use an 8 foot Channel Master Solid dish (fiberglass) and works well for both C and Ku but if the dish in question is a mesh
dish, I would agree with FaT Air's response above. If it's a Channel Master fiberglass, I'd keep it.

A Channel Master fiberglass dish is a solid mesh contruction that keeps it's shape over time better than a regular mesh especially where I live in the N.E. It does Ku very well for it's size.

Good luck!

Reactions: beavs2112
I agree with that, Those CM fiberglass dishes are commercial quality. IMHO.
BTW, dual band LNBF or ortho?? An Ortho will outperform a dusl band LNBF day in, day out.

Reactions: beavs2112
True about the LNBF. No I use a Seavey ortho with a mix of NJR Ku LNBs and C band LNBs. Also with that amount of weight on the feed arms, the CM's strong tubular arms hold it in place for repeatable performance day after day.

I had him order a list of things and are as follows: 1 dual cband lnbf, 1 vbox , 1 36" geosat pro dish and dual ku lnbf "standard", x2 2x1 22khz tone multi switch, 1 geosatpro micro hd. I guess total cost is $285. I am hoping this will do it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts