old radio shack catalogs

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My first visit to Radio Shack was when I was kid in 1971. The first thing I ever bought was an Archer UHF 100 mile outdoor Yagi antenna in 1972. That was mated with a Winegard VHF antenna and a CDE antenna rotor that I talked my father into letting me put up as a kid on our houses roof. That's how my DXing tv began. That's probably how I got interested in satellite tv from my DXing hobby as a kid.

My earliest memories of Radio Shack were when it was a side line of the Tandy Leather Company. They had a lot of kits and do it your self stuff and kind of reminded me of Heathkit, another cool company back then. I too did a stint working at a Radio Shack store.

Heathkit............that's another company I'd like to see all the old catalogs for. I used to drool over theirs in the 80s but all their stuff was a bit too pricey for me back then.

Hehe, looking at the FLAGSHIP of Police Scanners from 1990's the PRO-2006 was $449.99 9+ tax at B&M stores. I always bought my rigs way cheaper from some mail order store in Texas, can't recall the name. Something amarak or sounds like that. Who remembers?

Anyways, in-store price was $449 and from this mail order place in Texas was $369.99 and no tax and was an authorized RS retailer.

8 1/2' system for $1995

Attachments

• 1986 RS satellite.jpg
    1986 RS satellite.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 111
Back in 1972 my big brother was in the USAF and completed his basic training in Texas and we went to visit him there. We ended up at the big Fort Worth store and I was like a kid in a candy store! :p

Oh wait, I was a kid! :rolleyes:

It was great walking through the aisles with electronic kits piled up halfway to the ceiling! Now this was way before giant electronic retailers like Best Buy with pallets of stuff everywhere like they do now. To a 8 year old this did turn out to be a bummer because we did not buy anything! :(

We also stopped at Radio Shacks' corporate sister store American Handicrafts which my bratty sister got to buy something! :mad:

My first visit to RS was late 60s, early 70s. They had a program called free battery a month club. You got a card that got punched or marked and you could pick out any battery. I always grabbed a 9V radio battery for my pocket transistor radio.

My first electronic project (at the ripe age of 16) was to build an amplifier using a LM741 OP amp to detect the pulses from your arm muscles and amplify it to a speaker. After that I was forever hooked into electronics. Those were the days!

you know ... i cant remember ... but it was probably around when i was around 10 or so .... putting it back in the in the early 60's if they were around then ... maybe before...i still have some old cats from atleast the seventy's or eighty's or so

Keep in mind I am in Canada with a different division, and in 2005 or so completely split from Radio Shack. The Canadian coportate head was called InterTan (and still might be). When RS split, Circuit City bougt them, and they changed to The Source. when CC went under Bell (yes the phone company) bought them.

Many towns like ours have affiliate stores which carry their own product lines as well as the InterTan supplied ones. Our town as had the same affilate owner since at least 1980 in various locations downtown.

When? Before I was 10. IIRC our local mall had an RS store, and Dad and us went there to get wires to extend his stereo speakers outside, so we could listen to music when we polished his truck. I conciously went there on my own after 10 years old.

Catalogs? They were always free, and came out in September. I remember one year or two they had "parts and tools" in a separate catalog. Intertan corporate stores sold "surprise" boxes of (usually discontinued or overstocked) electronics parts, which were sometimes a treat to get sometimes, if you could find them. Affiliate stores usually don't have them, at least the affiliate store I went to.

Intertan corporate stores sold "surprise" boxes of (usually discontinued or overstocked) electronics parts, which were sometimes a treat to get sometimes, if you could find them.

we had those too. Grab bags we called them and they were just parts that we didnt need anymore

I was cleaning the closet in the basement yesterday and ran across two "vintage" (I guess) items that I have from Radio Shack that are from days gone by.

a FM booster for the car radio which I will say did work to pull in distant stations. Bought it back in 94. Worked great at the cabin to get more stations. Only drawback is if you are in metro area it distorts the stations there ;)

2nd is a 2 channel crystal controlled receiver. And it still works :) Has 2 crystals in it. One at our local police dispatch and the other for weather.

Attachments

• booster.jpg
    booster.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 108
  • receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 113
1963 Realistic Receiver

Ice,

Thanks for the link.......I was able to find out when my receiver was made.

Look in the 1963 catalog page 58........Amazing that it still works perfectly after all of these years!

Attachments

• 1963 realistic.jpg
    1963 realistic.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1963 rs receiver.JPG
    1963 rs receiver.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 133
Love that Rod Serling commercial for Radio Shack. I'd never seen it before. Twilight zone used to just freek me out when I was a kid, wildy imaginative stories with a real twist.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)