Status
Please reply by conversation.

bartman99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Virginia
Hi,

Right now I have one of the old packages, Total Choice. I am relatively happy with the channel lineup (though there is a lot of extra cr&p I don't need; shopping, etc). I have an old Hughes Directivo and now want to upgrade to a new HD-DVR.

Will I still be able to keep my Total Choice package? If so, will I be able to add HD to it?
If I can't get the Total Choice package, what is the closest current package? Any idea how I could find out what stations I would gain or loose by changing to that package?

Thanks,

B

The DirecTV website has the channel comparisons between their current packages. I think the package that is close to Total Choice is Choice Xtra. I doubt you can ad HD without changing the package.

Hi,

Right now I have one of the old packages, Total Choice. I am relatively happy with the channel lineup (though there is a lot of extra cr&p I don't need; shopping, etc). I have an old Hughes Directivo and now want to upgrade to a new HD-DVR.

Will I still be able to keep my Total Choice package? If so, will I be able to add HD to it?
If I can't get the Total Choice package, what is the closest current package? Any idea how I could find out what stations I would gain or loose by changing to that package?

Thanks,

B

You should be able to. Adding equipment doesn't affect your programming package, except being able to get the mpeg4 hd channels with a $10/month additional charge. Be sure that they don't change your package. You will get a new two year commitment with the equipment upgrade.

I agree with raoul5788. You should be able to add HD and any hardware you need.

If you want to know what they'll do for you, you should really ask DIRECTV. If you don't like the answer, you can tell them you changed your mind.

The DirecTV website has the channel comparisons between their current packages. I think the package that is close to Total Choice is Choice Xtra. I doubt you can ad HD without changing the package.
Actually, Total Choice is Choice, and Total Choice Plus is Choice Extra

I agree with raoul5788. You should be able to add HD and any hardware you need.

If you want to know what they'll do for you, you should really ask DIRECTV. If you don't like the answer, you can tell them you changed your mind.

You realize this is maybe the third or fourth time we have agreed on something! :eek:

I don't think so.

I have TC+ and it is NOT the same as Choice Extra

If it isn't exactly the same, it is the closest. TC+ is $61.49, Choice Extra is $63.99, a difference of $2.50/month.

I was able to keep my old tc+ when I upgraded to hd....havent checked lately but at one time the old package had a few more channels so if I dropped + for Extra I would be paying more money for less service.

Then why do they charge $ 5 more for the Choice Extra package ?
It is only $2.50 more, not $5.00. And it is because Total Choice Plus is an old grandfathered package that costs less than the current equivalent package

I was able to keep my old tc+ when I upgraded to hd....havent checked lately but at one time the old package had a few more channels so if I dropped + for Extra I would be paying more money for less service.
That has since changed. TC+ used to have more channels than Choice Extra, but now I believe the lineup is exactly the same.

It is only $2.50 more, not $5.00. And it is because Total Choice Plus is an old grandfathered package that costs less than the current equivalent package

So I can upgrade to the new package and not pay addl money for less channels now ?

When I checked awhile back, the only difference was I would get several channels that I could care less about and it cost me more money.

That has changed now ?

If so I will call and upgrade and get my ATT discount, but for the longest time, I would be required to pay $ 5 more to save $10 (discount) and lose channels to boot, so I've hung on to my Grandfathered package.

Does anyone have a list or a link where I can have a list of all the channels in the grandfathered TC+ that I can compare the new package with ?

TC+ is no longer available on the website to compare.

If so I will call and upgrade and get my ATT discount, but for the longest time, I would be required to pay $ 5 more to save $10 (discount) and lose channels to boot, so I've hung on to my Grandfathered package.

Well now that's a different story - I can tell you that you will NOT be able to get the AT&T discount on grandfathered packages. Nobody here ever said you could.

Does anyone have a list or a link where I can have a list of all the channels in the grandfathered TC+ that I can compare the new package with ?

You don't need one - several of us have already posted that TC+ is EXACTLY the same (channelwise) as the current Choice Xtra - NO more, NO less. D* customer service is NOT going to tell you this, as they are trying to get people like us OFF these grandfathered pkgs.

So I guess the bottom line for you is - if you want to pay $2.50 more to get your discount, it looks like your new actual net discount is only going to be $7.50.

So I can upgrade to the new package and not pay addl money for less channels now ?
I don't understand your question here. If you upgrade from TC+ to Choice Extra you will pay $2.50 more and get the same exact channels you are currently getting with TC+.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)