Olympic Opening Day - Excellent HD but no DVR on Ch 655!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I was able to catch the Olympic Opening Ceremony LIVE on Canadian's CBC network. It's SPECTACULAR HDTV! Don't miss it.

However, I'm not able to set the timer for DISH Network's Channel 655 Olympic Mandarin channel at 2pm Eastern Time to record from the GUIDE. But I did set a manual record.

Let's see if NBC has imposed a blackout policy for the USA prior to its actual broadcast on its main network.

i am in the states and don't get have channel a 655 and I did a search for Olympics and it's 8PM before i get programming!
I am on 110/119/61.5
I work late late into the morning so i was hoping to watch actual live events, major events and just just soccer games
anyone know is it's blacked out ?

i really hate that crap as you have to avoid all TV scrolling sports to not get spoiled

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I got Olympic HD live via BEV on CBC.... Channel 655 is on Dishnetwork. I presume everyone gets it but it's in Mandarin, maybe it's only available to people with the international packages.

It actually had the Opening Ceremony listed on the Guide this morning as "LIVE" but it was never broadcast. Instead, there was a slate telling people to tune in at 2pm Eastern Time, which the guide says "Opening Ceremony and other sports"

This year all foreign channels must blackout their live Olympics shows retransmitted into the US, even the live web streamings are blacked out into the US. NBC made sure we in the US, even those who speaks no English, must watch the tape delayed "live" Shows with their commercials and "human interest stories".

Fours years ago my wife and I was in Paris for our anniversary when the Olympics games in Greece were in full swing, they had nearly ten channels all broadcasting live with minimal commercials. We thought that would never ever happen back home.

I caught the opening ceremonies on an Argentine channel web stream this morning. It's a shame that in the US we have to wait until prime time to get anything!

See ya
Tony

The Mandarin Olympic Channel (655) has been showing the Opening Ceremony COMMERCIAL FREE and minimal (and barely audible Chinese narration).

Even though it's not HD, this is what NBC should have done.. but one can only wish!

The Mandarin Olympic Channel (655) has been showing the Opening Ceremony COMMERCIAL FREE and minimal (and barely audible Chinese narration).

Even though it's not HD, this is what NBC should have done.. but one can only wish!

Ditto... personally, I believe NBC ruined the opening — with their overtly excessive breaks, and selfish network promos. Wish I could see it, completely, and uninterrupted, as that was simply spectacular, amazing — the choreography and the 1/4 mile floor mounted LCD, etc; stellar!!! But with $900M at stake, NBC has to make it back, somehow... :(

What I want to know, is since NBC is tape-delaying almost everything, why don't they hit the "pause" button during their commercial breaks. It was obvious during the opening ceremonies that things continued during the commercials and we missed probably some good stuff.

NBC broke a 48 year non-us hosted opening ceremony rating record so to them tape delaying was a great success.

My local station is delaying the NBC feed 2 hours so even the stuff NBC is marking LIVE is still delayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)