OMG!! Dish Network updates HD Demo on 61.5 !!

Gary Murrell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Prestonsburg, KY
Not sure when this happened, but Dish is running new content on their HD Demo channel on 61.5 :D

this is a first(other than the Fish being added) in over 4 years

right now they are running movie clips from Showtime HD

the HD Demo channel is 1920x1080i at around 17 Mbps video and it looks spectacular

Thanks Dish

-Gary

Last edited:
one problem though, the Dolby Digital packets are there, but there is no sound on this channel right now :(

those clips of Sky Captain look amazing, I wish Showtime had this bitrate on Dish

-Gary

OMG is right! Looks awsome (even Sponge Bob) but no sound. I wonder if they will actually start using using the demo channel to its fullest potential. I wonder if we'll start seeing some new VOOM blurbs on on this channel?

Gary Murrell said:
one problem though, the Dolby Digital packets are there, but there is no sound on this channel right now :(
those clips of Sky Captain look amazing, I wish Showtime had this bitrate on Dish
-Gary

It's bad that they let their demo channel point out the deficiencies in the resolution/bitrate of the actual channels! :rolleyes:

thank god for the demo channel. now at least i know its not my tv or my eyes going bad. i was really worried for a while looking at what used to be great tv on monster and equator. then i figured my tv was broke or my eyes were just going on me. i just saw a boxing clip on the demo channel and it was remarkably clear and crisp. nice work. i just wish there was some where to go to see that kind of picture on all the HD channels all of the time.

They should have the same quality of picture on the demo as they have on their HD channels or they will be misleading the public. People will say that they are not getting the quality that was shown on the HD demo channel. They could see the other HD channels on a showroom unit though if the showroom has an HD receiver.

Yeah, but sadly like most of the country w/o a hd, even a HD lite picture to them looks great

And to the others who HAVE HDTV's, but have it connected wrong, shame, and they think it looks good

Fixed someones TV, was a Sony Plasma IIRC (Dont remember). Had a Cable CO HD box hooked up via coax in, thought it looked great... Threw some component cables on there (no dvi cable onhand), and bam, 100x better.. its sad really that the people that HAVE hdtv's dont utilize them to there extent.

I have 2 over here, mine (hooked to Dish HD) and the one in the parla just hooked through SD only (they wanted a DVR, so no HD). Id grab a HD box for out there too, but then they loose DVR etc, and for them, its alot easier not to confuse em with 'some channels are hd all the time, others are HD lite, others are after 8pm' etc, just 'here is some SD , enjoy!'

This alway pissed me off when I would go to someones house for a service call or what ever and they would have this 5000.00 Tv and it would be hooked to a 301 or something like that by the ch3/4 coax output. Geez, get a clue.

We have to be honest here in saying that HDTV is a mess and is just not catching on, mainly because everyone thinks that with a HDTV they are already watching everything in HD :mad:

HD-Lite and bitrate starving do not help matters

HDTV is a huge mess

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
We have to be honest here in saying that HDTV is a mess and is just not catching on, mainly because everyone thinks that with a HDTV they are already watching everything in HD :mad:

HD-Lite and bitrate starving do not help matters

HDTV is a huge mess

-Gary
Yup!

Stargazer said:
Most of the country does not know what HD is really like and that is what DirecTv and Dish Network is hoping for.

Heck, most of the country doesn't realize there's anything better than a RF connection.

My in-laws drive me crazy because their PQ is always so bad. I've offered to fix it for them but I get this "no, no, it's ok, it's good enough for us". Then they'll come over to our place and tell me how great my tv looks. My wife's mother turns to her husband and says "maybe we should get a tv like theirs" and then she asks me about where I got mine. I proceed to explain to her that their tv looks so bad because they have it hooked up the worst of all possible ways and again offer to fix it. "no, no, that's ok..........I try to explain to them about the different connection options and why their tv looks like crap and I get this sort of blank look and their attention starts to wander. Drives me crazy I tell ya.:eek:

waltinvt said:
My in-laws drive me crazy because their PQ is always so bad.

I proceed to explain to her that their tv looks so bad because they have it hooked up the worst of all possible ways and again offer to fix it. "no, no, that's ok..........I try to explain to them about the different connection options and why their tv looks like crap and I get this sort of blank look and their attention starts to wander. Drives me crazy I tell ya.:eek:
Crazy may be the best term to use. I'm wondering if your in-laws are my parents. Perhaps they are from the same mold?

What I do is just go fix whatever is broken without bothering to explain what I did (they wouldn't understand anyway). They are so pleased for about 10 minutes then find something new to complain about, like the color tone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)