On Demand internet connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

20fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
America's Rollercoast
I have 1 - hr24 and 2- hr 21's with swm connection. i am debating on getting connection kit for internet and was wondering if it matters or which connection is best. I believe there are different connection methods for each of the type of receivers that I have. Also have whole home to watch all recorded shows on all receivers, so would need the wireless connection.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

so wired is always best; but I think you just answered your own question right?

"have whole home to watch all recorded shows on all receivers, so would need the wireless connection"

I assume this means you have no interest in spending a few $$ and time and wiring?

You don't "need" the wireless connection because either wired or wireless would accomplish the same task. But, since you have MRV you can order the wireless version directly from D* for $32 including shipping which is about the least expensive route. What is interesting about the "wireless" box is that it can be connected either wired or wireless. Plus it has the pass-through connection that avoids having to insert a splitter in the line or run a wire back to the existing splitter.

The CCK puts the internet connection on your existing coax line so all DVRs would have access to you internet and all could download on-demand programming.

Why people argue against just getting the wireless model from D* just confuses the heck out of me. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The only caveat is that the wireless unit will not work with Comcast's newer wireless routers that use the Class A private network versus the more common Class C private network. But, it doesn't seem like there are too many folks in that situation.

My installer wanted to put the wireless one. But I told him I already had a spare drop next to the 8 port switch on my media center. It was just a simple plug in and go.

I didn't want another wireless device to manage and didn't know if it connected to my wireless N only network anyways.

Its all for not now anyways as I moved the ethernet to the hr34 and shut off the BB deca.

so wired is always best; but I think you just answered your own question right?

"have whole home to watch all recorded shows on all receivers, so would need the wireless connection"

I assume this means you have no interest in spending a few $$ and time and wiring?

I have ethernet lines running to the locations of the 2 - hr21's (one in basement and one in bedroom) because I was using the beta unsupported version before adding the hr24. Newest receiver is the hr24 in the livingroom. Didn't realize installer didn't hook up the internet on the hr24 install. I guess I'm not clear on the "wired" option, as I thought if I connect direct to receiver it would disable the mrv. Could some one elaborate on connecting my system using the lines I already have in place, and not lose the mrv?

Thanks in Advance,

I see you have an HR24 so going the unsupported ethernet method is not for you, but you still don't need to be wireless.

OK. This is why it is necessary to give full details when asking a question. Given that you already have MRV and on-demand working over your ethernet connection(s) that are already connected to two HR21s and have just added an HR24, it is probably best to just add an internet connection to the back of your HR24. The confusing part of all this is that there are two ways to make MRV work; the D* way of handling the packets over the coax line and the "unsupported" way of running it through an ethernet connection. If you go the coax route you need to have DECAs between the coax and the ethernet connection on all receivers that do not have the DECA built-in (HR24 and above have the DECA built-in). But, since you want to do it all via ethernet, you can ignore the DECA issue and just plug your ethernet into the HR24. (Yes, it disconnects the internal DECA, but you don't care. And since your ethernet is connected to your router you have connectivity to the internet as well so you have your on-demand connection already there.)

If you had put all that into your first post it would have been easier to give you better information. And, if I didn't make it clear above, you would need to get 2 DECA boxes for your two HR21s to make this work with your coax line.

OK. This is why it is necessary to give full details when asking a question. Given that you already have MRV and on-demand working over your ethernet connection(s) that are already connected to two HR21s and have just added an HR24, it is probably best to just add an internet connection to the back of your HR24. The confusing part of all this is that there are two ways to make MRV work; the D* way of handling the packets over the coax line and the "unsupported" way of running it through an ethernet connection. If you go the coax route you need to have DECAs between the coax and the ethernet connection on all receivers that do not have the DECA built-in (HR24 and above have the DECA built-in). But, since you want to do it all via ethernet, you can ignore the DECA issue and just plug your ethernet into the HR24. (Yes, it disconnects the internal DECA, but you don't care. And since your ethernet is connected to your router you have connectivity to the internet as well so you have your on-demand connection already there.)

If you had put all that into your first post it would have been easier to give you better information. And, if I didn't make it clear above, you would need to get 2 DECA boxes for your two HR21s to make this work with your coax line.

I had the hr24 installed almost a year ago, and have gone without the on demand and internet access since then. I had not really used it that much before on the hr21's with unsupported direct ethernet connections method, so when I realized the installer did not hook it up with the hr24, I just let it go. Just recently revisited the idea of having the on demand and wasn't (am not) sure of the best connection method. Both hr21's have the deca units installed, but I do not have the ethernet lines connect to either of them at this time, and no ethernet going to hr24 location. So knowing my current set up, what would be the suggested best way to hook up the On Demand and internet connection. Curious..................Since I have the Deca's already, how do I make it work over the coax? Sorry if I am making this harder than it needs to be, just want to understand.

20fan said:
I had the hr24 installed almost a year ago, and have gone without the on demand and internet access since then. I had not really used it that much before on the hr21's with unsupported direct ethernet connections method, so when I realized the installer did not hook it up with the hr24, I just let it go. Just recently revisited the idea of having the on demand and wasn't (am not) sure of the best connection method. Both hr21's have the deca units installed, but I do not have the ethernet lines connect to either of them at this time, and no ethernet going to hr24 location. So knowing my current set up, what would be the suggested best way to hook up the On Demand and internet connection. Curious..................Since I have the Deca's already, how do I make it work over the coax? Sorry if I am making this harder than it needs to be, just want to understand.

Can anyone fill me in on how to "hard-wire" with my current setup without messing up my mrv ?

Thanks in Advance,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)