On Demand setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tigerfan55

Original poster
May 14, 2008
I know that to get the On Demand features it has to be hooked up to my internet, but I was wondering if there is another way to hook it up without running a ethernet cable from my bedroom down the hall and into the living room. Is there no way to hook it up wirelessly? I really don't want to move the DSL and the wireless box closer to the living room to run a wire that way. Is there another wayt to hook it up. Wish I could run the ethernet cable from my PS3 to my HD DVR, but thats not possible.

So can anyone help or if I want it will I just have to move it?

There are two ways to do it without running a wire. They sell a 'Ethernet over powerline adapter' (you will need two) or if you have a wireless router, you can get a wireless adapter for your box. DirecTV sells both.

So I can use a wireless adapter similar to this one

bt450_open.jpg

That adapter would work with a PC but not a receiver. You need a standalone ethernet to wifi adapter, ie. a gaming adapter. Check out the link in my previous post.

So I will need the gaming system which will catch my wireless then I can hook a ethernet from it to the box? Got ya.

Thanks guys sorry I was researching some stuff when you posted your originaly post foobar so I didn't see it. Hopefully I can find one cheap.

you dont need the gaming system... just the adapter, and for what its worth, the powerline adapter from d* work alot better... but the wireless adapter you need will convert an ethernet connection into an access point.

i use the Netgear powerline for all of my connections because I have a long ranch house with a lot of angles and walls. It works wonderfully and the Netgear 104 which has 4 connections per adapter can be had for $50-$60 reconditioned on Ebay (this is what I use).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)