One for the DUH!!! file

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I have been battling poor signal quality since I first purchased my first (second hand) FTA system - Coolsat 5K, DS2076 dish, and ROC lnb.

I adjusted, readjusted, and re-readjusted the skew, elevation, and azimuth until I had about given up on picking up the lower power signals like RTN - which always seemed to come in just at or above the pixelation point. A good cloud and they would go completely out.

:eureka All of a sudden it hit me. I realized that I had never adjusted the in/out position of the lnb. This is probably because I followed the instructions that came with the thing which said to make sure it was all the way against the bracket - as far away from the dish as possible.

I tuned to RTN (q=65) and went outside with a screwdriver. I moved the lnb in a modest amount and voila! q=67. I went back out a few more times for fine adjustment and finally ended up with a quality fluctuating between 69 and 70 on a very overcast rainy day. I guess I'll be watching a lot more RTN in the coming days. If I had a double jointed knee I'd kick my own butt for not thinking of this sooner.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is having similar problems.

To quote Fred G. Sanford, "Why you big dummy!" Seriously, congrats on corecting your problem...I've done worse like: plugging my two OTA antennas into my brand new Dish 622 HD DVR and initially thinking I was shipping a defective receiver, and installing my StarChoice system and wondering why I couldn't get a signal when I had forgotten connect the RG-6 to the LNBF.:D :eek:

congrats on getting it working. DOnt take those "duh" moments too hard...I have one daily it seems like :D

Here's another.

24" Voom/Dishnet dish that I got from my neighbor after he switched to DirecTV
I used it last January to test the DVR-1100c on 97W
Got borderline quality. Any good rain fade and I'd be down to MHz Worldwide only on that dish.:mad:

I moved it to 119 for NASA so that I'd never have it fade out.
Well it faded out often. Weird... :confused:

Came a few weeks later and the string test got brought up again. :eureka
An hour later I'm outside testing all of the possible movements to make sure it's not a nut I forgot to tighten. I then brought the reflector inside and lay it on the floor to see if it rocks.
Did it ever! :eek: the thing was twisted about 20 degrees.
A little muscle and the thing was about about as good as new.

So remember to do the string test when you get a new dish.
I mean it's the second dish to do that to me, so far. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Duh... its called focal distance. :D You were under illuminating the dish and not getting all the signal. We all live and learn. :)

I have been battling poor signal quality since I first purchased my first (second hand) FTA system - Coolsat 5K, DS2076 dish, and ROC lnb.

I adjusted, readjusted, and re-readjusted the skew, elevation, and azimuth until I had about given up on picking up the lower power signals like RTN - which always seemed to come in just at or above the pixelation point. A good cloud and they would go completely out.

:eureka All of a sudden it hit me. I realized that I had never adjusted the in/out position of the lnb. This is probably because I followed the instructions that came with the thing which said to make sure it was all the way against the bracket - as far away from the dish as possible.

I tuned to RTN (q=65) and went outside with a screwdriver. I moved the lnb in a modest amount and voila! q=67. I went back out a few more times for fine adjustment and finally ended up with a quality fluctuating between 69 and 70 on a very overcast rainy day. I guess I'll be watching a lot more RTN in the coming days. If I had a double jointed knee I'd kick my own butt for not thinking of this sooner.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is having similar problems.
and i though i was the only one who had DUH moments ,lol.:rolleyes:

I don't think I'll ever live down the time I was adjusting a 1 meter dish at a friend's house from 97w to 123w, and couldn't find a signal on G-18 to save my life. I was up on his roof for TWO HOURS before it hit me... re-SKEW the @#%* feedhorn/LNB! (D'OH!) :rolleyes: Found G-18 about a minute later...

Been down the same road many times. With my new Cband install I was having issues with a few stations. It rained and I almost lost all the channels. Moving that Lnb in and out made the difference. We live and we learn I guess..Blind

:eureka All of a sudden it hit me. I realized that I had never adjusted the in/out position of the lnb.

:D
Hey it seems like we all have made simple mistakes like that from time to time! The simplest thing that gets overlooked seems to kick us in the behind! You could spend weeks trying to figure out what is wrong especially when you get the thing up by the letter! Had those DUMB moments myself as we all have had!

If I had a double jointed knee I'd kick my own butt for not thinking of this sooner.

:haha
The experience just made you able to install another one later on with that problem eliminated! We learn as we go here you know!

Anyways LoTech, Glad to see now you have it right and the Quality is better!

ENJOY IT NOW!! :)

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I did what LoTech suggested in the first post..Moved the LNB out from the arm slightly..and the RTN signal is now consistently above 30..I have ONN back for now..Still dont have Montana PBS..

Question..There is just one hole to put the screw in on the arm..After moving the LNB out, it just sits there..Seems like it will be OK, but would putting electrical tape around it hurt anything? It should secure it better you would think..Thanks for any help..(Fortec Dynamic Receiver, Fortec 36" dish, Universal LNB)

I did what LoTech suggested in the first post..Moved the LNB out from the arm slightly..and the RTN signal is now consistently above 30..I have ONN back for now..Still dont have Montana PBS..

Question..There is just one hole to put the screw in on the arm..After moving the LNB out, it just sits there..Seems like it will be OK, but would putting electrical tape around it hurt anything? It should secure it better you would think..Thanks for any help..(Fortec Dynamic Receiver, Fortec 36" dish, Universal LNB)

Electrical tape, duct tape, bubble gum, zipties, chunks of wood, baling wire.......all are acceptable when you have only yourself to please, won't hurt a thing! :)

It is best to leave the LNB bracket itself bolted to the arm and then just loosen the two screws on either side of the clamp holding the LNB neck and slide the LNB in or out through the clamp. Just make sure to keep at it zero skew since you're motorized.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)