one HD DVRs programs show always in use on other receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeFr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Queens, NYC
Starting today, the recorded content on one of my 2 HR24's has been unable to be viewed on either of the 2 other receivers in my setup. The red warning advising of playback in use appears when viewing the dvr list in both alternate locations.

Turned the mrv share settings off/on, did a system reset on all 3 receivers, pulled the plug out for over a minute on the DVR in question. Sent system hit from the D* website. All with no help.

Anyone have a similar problem ever? Tomorrow I'll remove that receiver from the splitter and see if that helps.

Thanks

That's a new one by me.. Usually the problem is one can't see the other at all.. You in an apartment sharing a dish by any chance?

That's a new one by me.. Usually the problem is one can't see the other at all.. You in an apartment sharing a dish by any chance?

I'm in an apartment but have had the service for over a year now, the setup was only mine when I saw it back then.

Pulled the plug on both hd dvr's and the power insertor for about a half hour and it solved the issue. Just hope it isn't a recurring issue.

Mike,
Did you have a power failure on the day that things seemed to go haywire? Your receivers get their IP addresses from the SWM unit. If things don't come back in the right sequence you can get duplicate addresses in the receivers which causes all kinds of problems. Your fix (which I assume you plugged in the SWM unit first then each receiver one at a time) is the best way to resolve this issue. You really don't need to leave it disconnected for a long period of time; two minutes is more than enough.

Glad it all worked for you.
Bob

Mike,
Did you have a power failure on the day that things seemed to go haywire? Your receivers get their IP addresses from the SWM unit. If things don't come back in the right sequence you can get duplicate addresses in the receivers which causes all kinds of problems. Your fix (which I assume you plugged in the SWM unit first then each receiver one at a time) is the best way to resolve this issue. You really don't need to leave it disconnected for a long period of time; two minutes is more than enough.

Glad it all worked for you.
Bob

Honestly if that was the case they wouldn't be able to see each other at all. The SWM unit doesn't hand out IP addresses, the receivers look for a connection to a DHCP server via the CCK, then if one is not found they assign themselves pseudorandom 169.254.x.x addresses (aka 'link-local', just like a computer does on an ad-hoc network).. Yes occasionally the pseudorandom process produces two identical addresses, but it's rare (each box has a 1 in 65,536 chance of picking the same IP), and as I said if that happened the two receivers wouldn't see each other at all.

It's really bizarre that the playlists show the programs but claim that the stream is already in use.

Last edited:
I assigned static IP's to my receivers since I started with Direct, at the beginning it was the only way to reliably get the MRV to work. I haven't had any power outages lately.

The only odd things happening recently have been that my DSL has been cutting in and out on some days, which is a rarity for me, and around the time of this MRV issue, i was able to see on my router's home page that the ip assigned to my 1 HD receiver seemed to always have activity that wouldn't cease. I believe that it ceased showing activity before I did the power disconnects but maybe it was related still.

So far so good since the original reset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.