One service 2 locations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

miket0072003

Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Newbie here, I have DirectTV service at my primary home. Details: HD service, 2 HD DVRs and one regular HD receiver, all connected to some sort of wireless router. I can record on one and watch on another reciver. System is connected to phone line, installed about 2-3 years ago. I only use 2 of the receivers. I could do without the 3rd areceiver at my primary residence. I just bought a lakehouse that will be used on the weekends only. My wife and I will be at one place or the other so we would only use the service at one location at a time.
The lakehouse has a 18" x20" dish, probably older technology.
My question is can I have service at both locations with the one account?
I have an older Slimline (non-HD) dish that was left after my last upgrade and also a older non HD receiver if that would help me.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys miket0072003!

Technically you aren't supposed to have dual locations on one account, but if you will never use them at the same time, it's not an issue. A Slimline dish is hd, so you may be able to use that. The dish at your lake house is only good for sd, not hd. Can you get the model number of the lnb from the Slimline? That's the part at the end of the arm.

Reactions: stardust3
Welcome to the site !:welcome

Yes, you can.
Friends of mine have a cottage and they called D* to inquire about the same thing and they said absolutely, no problem.

I wouldn't involve Directv, the less they know the better!

If both locations are in the same dma and receive the same local programming just call movers and give them the lake house address. Take all receivers with you and tell the tech that shows up you only want one installed but to leave the other two active. Throw him 20 bucks and say thank you. Problem solved :p

:welcome to Satelliteguys miket0072003!

Technically you aren't supposed to have dual locations on one account, but if you will never use them at the same time, it's not an issue. A Slimline dish is hd, so you may be able to use that. The dish at your lake house is only good for sd, not hd. Can you get the model number of the lnb from the Slimline? That's the part at the end of the arm.

There are 2 numbers, can't read the complete 1st number:
1: SL3K4#RO-01
2: XXEK3A1019A0995.
Also, the square part that looks like it houses some electronics evidently has water in it, I can hear it sloshing around.

Thanks.

Water would definitely keep it from working correctly. You need to replace it, obviously. If your setup at the lake house will remain, then get a regular ka/ku lnb and a bbc from somewhere like Solid Signal. They are a very reputable place. We can guide you through the installation and alignment of the dish once you have those parts.

Water would definitely keep it from working correctly. You need to replace it, obviously. If your setup at the lake house will remain, then get a regular ka/ku lnb and a bbc from somewhere like Solid Signal. They are a very reputable place. We can guide you through the installation and alignment of the dish once you have those parts.

So I could use my old dish and get this LNB:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SL3&ss=239641
And this converter:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SUP-2400&ss=239645
Where should the converter be located?

Thanks,
Mike

Those are what you need, the bbc attaches to the receiver/dvr.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)