Onkyo 705

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I hope you any of you guys can help me. I have the 705 and Samsung BD-UP5000

The problem comes when I try to hear Dolby TrueHD in movies like Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Matrix, etc. When I select TrueHD i get on the 705 f:48Khz. The sound is not as good as regular Dolby Digital. How can i get TrueHD to sound good? Thanks

HDMI Monster cable. According to the package they are the best for TrueHD and DTS Master HD sound. On the Samsugn BD-UP5000 i set the digital audio to bistream (audiophile), which sounds better than setting it PCM.

Does it display TrueHD or Master HD on the 705? Also, your player should have a display button. Press it and see what the player is outputting. Go to the Language or Audio menu of the DVD that has the TrueHD or Master HD tracks, and make sure to select the appropriate one. I'm still new at all this, so please bear with me. There are links to another forum a few posts back in this thread that will offer some help as well.

Do you have the latest firmware for your BD-UP5000? If memory serves, this player decodes TrueHD, then sends it to the receiver as multi-channel PCM over the HDMI cable.

How do things sound with Blu-Ray discs that have a multi-channel PCM soundtrack (Disney titles, for example)? If they sound good, I would suspect the player, not the 705.

I was informed that the True HD problem is in the Samsung. The player has a problem producing all the sound channels. It is expected that in MAY the new firmware will fix the problem. I have Pirates of the Caribbean 3 it produces 7.1 sound. It sounds great. The problem is only with the True HD tracks.

$572.98 at 6th Avenue Electronics

Onkyo TX-SR705 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver(ONKTXSR705B) and other affordable Audio Receivers at 6ave.com.

This is getting serious.

705 Owners..here is part of a review.

Weaknesses: Inability to receive regular surround signals (Dobly Digital, DTS) through HDMI - must ALSO connect fiber optic or digital coax for standard surround.

Summary: The weird connection hobble Onkyo put in here is that when connecting something like a cable box or DVD player through HDMI, in order to get the machine to process regular, current-gen surround formats you have to hook it up with digital coax or fiber optic IN ADDITION TO the HDMI, basically negating the whole "one cable for all purposes" attraction of HDMI. (See page 66 of the manual.) It will still, however, process next-gen formats like DTS-HD, Dolby TruHD, etc. One step down on the model number saves you over $200 and you get practically the same functionality. If you go up one step to the 805 then that DOES process all surround formats through HDMI. It's an odd setup to be sure.

Is that true? Will this receiver NOT process DD or DTS through HDMI without the optic connection?

My Directv HD DVRs are running HDMI through a 705 with DD. I don't know where you found that but it is absolutely wrong. How could they sell any of the 605,705,805,905 if they couldn't run DD through HDMI. When you run the set up you have to turn HDMI off so that instead of going straight through to the TV it goes into the Onkyo. Maybe that's what confused someone.

Sat/Cab S-video iput problem

Well, I have a problem with my Sat/Cable S-video input on my 705. I have a 625 connected to it via an S-video cable. Watched some TV before going to the boys baseball practice. No problems. Get home, turn everything on, my TV display is freaken bright. Tried to adjust it throught the TVs brightness control. No help. Crap!!!!! Move the S-video from the receiver straight to the TV, problem went away. Time to call Amazon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)