Onkyo receiver clicking noises and input change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

supermaxhd

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Two problems...1st I have had my HR44 a couple of months ago. I didn't notice this problem it first and it may have started with a recent update. When I use trick play or when commercials come on or the audio changes my Onkyo TX-NR809 'clicks'. The same noise you hear if you change inputs on the receiver. My TV is a new Samsung 75HU8550 4k. I use HDMI control on the Onkyo and the TV.

2nd. I use my HR44 remote as my primary remote. It is configured as an RF remote and powers on the Onkyo and TV with the HDMI control and controls volume. When I have the sytstem powered off and turn it on it turns on the TV, receiver and HR44. The sound and picture come on for a second and then my Onkyo switches from CBL/SAT input to TV. I had found in another internet forum that I should turn off audio return channel setting on the Onkyo but that didn't help.

Thanks for any help with this!

Had the same problem, the fix is easy. Just unplug the receiver at the outlet (or power strip) for 15 seconds and plug it back in. Found the fix on the Internet, so it must be a common problem.

Try disabling the CEC setting on the HR44.

I tried that. It made no difference either way. I see my HR44 had a software update on May 7 which I believe is about when I began to notice the clicking. The input switch to TV when turned on has always happened.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR 1030 and mine will click as well. It's just the audio relay. I think it's normal. The default audio format is Dolby Surround Up Mixer and say if I'm watching something on my HR44 that's in Dolby Digital when I go to pause the show or skip the commercials the audio relay will click as the amp is changing from DD to DSU. It's completely normal from what I've read and there's no way to disable it from doing so. A lot of times commercials will not be in DD so as the amp changes audio formats you will hear the click. As far as issue #2 I can't help with that one.

is your audio reciever being fed from the TV? or is the audio reciever feeding the TV. either way, im thinking your TV is sending a signal and thats why its doing that. if the TV has a setting for CEC try turning it off.

Ok, I can maybe see this happening when audio formats change but for 10 second rewinds after commercial skipping. My home made Windows Media Center DVR with my cablecard tuner did not have this problem and I really feel like the problem worsened with the HR44 update a couple of weeks ago.

It all has to do with how the digital audio signal is handled by your output device. Every time the audio signal is interrupted the receiver will click because it has lost the signal, that's just the way Onkyo has designed the circuit. If the HR44 is interrupting the digital output more than your previous device, then it would be worse with it.

Exactly any change in input or audio format will relay to click. It's completely normal. Although my Yamaha doesn't do this its just the way Onkyo does it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)