Onkyo TX-NR809

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Remote and USB wifi adapter. Wifi setup was easy, and unit already had the latest FW (7/15/12) installed.
2E343C5B-F8E2-474D-A368-AF5C913BAE14-4961-0000087CFBFDD741.jpg

Front
6770572E-6A63-44B8-97F7-411842C28A90-4961-0000087D088649A2.jpg

Back
D9A3DAF0-20AC-4AB0-A638-7CE6027EF397-4961-0000087D0E9DFFD9.jpg

Bottom, showing dual cooling fan ports. The word is this model runs pretty cool and the fans usually dont need to run
41EC95CE-C42A-4EF3-9881-33E25864DE21-4961-0000087D14D60EED.jpg

Next to Marantz Sr6005
05FCA5BF-1154-4830-8704-1D8EF30B50B8-4961-0000087D1B3A351C.jpg

Next to Marantz again
F58DE58C-4B8E-416B-AA0E-600BD50BC541-4961-0000087D21134A6E.jpg

Marantz weighs like 26lbs, and the Onkyo is 40, just holding it its front heavy and thats where the large transformer is. So it's either the larger transformer or they have lead in there. Marantz is rated at 110x7, and Onkyo is 135x7, just reading reviews and amp tests, I expect the Onkyo will output an extra 30watts or more per speaker to my 3.1 setup. This model holds its power better as speakers are added, compared to the Marantz models Ive seen reviewed.

MultiEQ XT setup was pretty easy, had to get used to menu's (Marantz has MultiEQ). I liked how at the beginning of auto setup, it allows you to pre adjust the sub volume to 75db using the mic, instead of guessing then have to run Audyssey and it be set to hi or to low, causing a rerun.

Distance measurements were spot on, and the same as the marantz, same with level settings. Menu's are nice, just a little sluggish, but I do like the dimmer better, it goes from lighting around the knob and bright display, to no knob lighting and a very dim display. Volume setting will take some time to get used to, since it goes up away from zero instead of down towards zero. So far I dont notice anyone Onkyo super bright sound coupled with the Klipsch, sounds just fine.

It kinda fell in my lap. Im undecided, but so far I like it a lot. I've noticed what I felt like where holes in the Manual EQ calibration sound, or maybe Im just used to Audyssey. I figured an AVR with more power and a better version of Audyssey was a good test.

After a week, then swapping back and watching 4 hours of tv last night, I can say I like the Audyssey Multi EQ XT sound better than the manual EQ (To me it sounds like my Marantz did with MultiEQ before I had it manually calibrated). It may just be that the Manual EQ offers very little adjustment, and Audyssey seems to be able to do a little more. I watched Prometheus last weekend and it had no bass, and the sound was weird, thats when I kinda felt something was missing.

Volume setting will take some time to get used to, since it goes up away from zero instead of down towards zero. So far I dont notice anyone Onkyo super bright sound coupled with the Klipsch, sounds just fine.

If the 809 is anything like my TX-NR609 there is a setting for that. It sets 0 to “THX reference volume“. When I turn my volume up it goes closer to 0 and when I turn it down it goes away from 0.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using tapatalk 2

I found it, thanks. It's called "Relative", and I like it because its what Im used too. Just like when you set the xover's to 80hz (have "THX" next to that setting), the Relative setting has "THX" next to it.

I found it, thanks. It's called "Relative", and I like it because its what Im used too. Just like when you set the xover's to 80hz (have "THX" next to that setting), the Relative setting has "THX" next to it.

No problem. I love my 609. It's plenty good enough for my tastes in my little mancave/basement. I can only imagine how much better the 809 is.

Im still surprised how heavy the transformer side of that AVR is.

Also ran real cool last night after 4 hours or so of HDTV, with a decent volume setting.

I have been using my 609 for 100% of my TV viewing in that room for about a year now. On Saturdays and Sundays I will sometimes have it running for close to 12 straight hours watching football and I have never had any overheating or any other problems for that matter. I usually watch general TV between 25 and 30 and most bluray movies or movies from my HDDVR at around 15 to 20. I occasionally crank it all the way to 0 when friends come over to watch a bluray but most of the time that is just too much. I love seeing the look on people's faces who have never used anything but their TV speakers when I crank up a bluray with a great soundtrack like Prometheus.

I think they have fixed some of the issues they were known for. I had a 605 and you could cook of that thing, it was in an ent center with a shelf a few inches above it, and it actually bubbled the coating on the bottom of the shelf.

I know you had those issues, but I am still running a 605 in my family room. I have never had the heat issues you describe.

The 605 I had was a refurb, so maybe something was wrong with it. It was a hot mama. The 809 seems to be better than the SR6005, using my hand, but Ill check after a good movie.

Well,

Here are my thoughts on the 809

• Definitely prefer Audyssey MultiEQ XT to the manual calibration
  • As a 4 year Denon/Marantz owner, I do not hear any "harsh" sound from the 809, and I figure itd show with the horns
  • Only complaint now was the menu, and its not the prettiest thing youve ever seen, especially the display
  • Do not notice any temperature issues
  • Im gonna keep the Marantz boxed for a little bit to make sure the Onkyo holds up, then sell it
  • I figure keep the AVR with the better amp and better version of Audyssey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)