Onkyo TX-SP805 Review @ Secrets

One thing about which I'm confused on the Onkyo 805: if I have a 1080i DLP HD TV, does this Onkyo A/V support that? The review makes it sound like the best I'll ever be able to see is 720p.

Having just purchased a Samsung LED DLP HDTV, I'd hate to think all my 1080i would be downconverted to 720p.

It's not my TV. I wasn't really experiencing any problems; rather, I was just curious about the Onkyo 805.
I don't have the 805, can't comment on its capabilities like HDMI switching.
Your TV seems to be able to accept 1080p as input. If it is fed 1080i it must be either the source or/and player.

Diogen.

One thing about which I'm confused on the Onkyo 805: if I have a 1080i DLP HD TV, does this Onkyo A/V support that? The review makes it sound like the best I'll ever be able to see is 720p.

Having just purchased a Samsung LED DLP HDTV, I'd hate to think all my 1080i would be downconverted to 720p.

I was confused too until I read a few other articles. I think that there is a typo in this article. The Farouija chip is only upscaling the componet inputs for output thru HDMI. When doing this it only upscales to 720p. Hence the recomendation that if you have a true 720p HDTV that this would be a very good product for you.

The problem is if you have a 1080i or 1080p HDTV. Here, if you use componet the Onkyo will output thru the HDMI at 720p and your HDTV will again upscale to its native resolution - either 1080i or 720p. Now if you own a 1080i set that cannot except a 720p signal then you will either not receive a signal or that signal will be downconverted to 480p. However, if you have a HDTV that does a good job of upconverting the 720p signal (my Pioneer 630HD does a fine job) then this second upconverting is not neccessarily a bad thing.

The HDMI 1.3 will pass a HDMI signal thru as native to the HDTV. It does not upconvert any HDMI signal only componet inputs. The Onkyo will pass 720p, 1080i, 1080p 60fps and 24 fps natively thru to the HDTV.

Having said all this, it is apparent that if you are looking for the best upscaling results you should look to the TX-SR875 with the HQV chip. That chip will allow you control over the upconverting and will do a betterjop of upconverting all the way to 1080p.

I chose the TX-SR805 because I am running both my PS3 and Dish VIP622 thru the HDMI. It is no use upconverting the VIP622 as the SD signals are so bad that upconverting would just make them worse. Also my Pioneer 630HD is a 1080i HDTV that does upconvert a 720p signal but still is a 1080i set with limited HD screen (1400 x1080I) - so it is not a true 1920x1080i set. I am going to use the $700 I saved over the top model to purchase a BD standalone that has the HQV chip in it (for upconversion of my DVD library) when the new ones come out this winter.

I hope this helped you.

Oh and BTW -- nice catch Diogen!:up

When diving into the hidef playback and upgrading your equipment, make sure you don't get caught in the marketting game manufacturers are playing.
You don't need more than one video processors. Today you can find Reon/Gennum/Realta/HQV/Farodja advertised in players, receivers, TVs and projectors. And you pay quite a premium for them: just compare entry level and top of the line HD DVD players.

Decide what your setup will be: how many playback devices (HD, BD, PS3, XBox, etc.). Pick just one competent video processor. If you have just one player, let the player do it. Don't buy a projector with those capabilities. If you have two - let the projector do it (and save money on players, buy the cheaper ones). If you have more than two - let the receiver do it and buy a cheap player and projector.

CE manufacturers will double- and tripple-dip with their marketting (that is 99% of the time nothing but crap you don't need, just look at the HDMI 1.3 - that isn't even in their final stage jet, only 1.3a at the moment) if you are not careful.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)