Only 19 HD channels on VIP 211 with Dish500 Dish

bgarceau

Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I recently accepted the new HD channels offer as I was told at the time that all DishNetwork channels would be available with my current system setup.

I only see 19 though, two of which appear as "offair".

I suspect that I may need some kind of dish hardware upgrade to pull in more than the two satellites I see now in the system setup menus (119, 110).

Can someone please direct me to what I need to do next?

Thanks!

Thanks Juan. Now can this be done by somehow updating hardware such as a new version of the LNB, that could pull in an extra satellite?

How did you get an upgrade to an HD receiver without an install?

They usually demand it and this is a prime example why they do.

We already had one VIP 211 receiver and we were receiving just a handful of HD channels on that receiver. I upgraded our other receiver to the 211 by buying the 2nd one online.

When I called in to to DishNetwork to activate it I was told that I would be able to receive the additional channels using our existing setup.

I like the idea to request a Dish1000. We don't have room for a second dish. It is a very tight installation on a very small deck enclosure.

We Live in New Hampshire.

Thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated!

If I interpret the map and comment correctly, the Tallahassee, FL DMA would require a second dish, not the 1000? Good info to know for the future.

Thanks ts... I understand now and I'll have to do a little analysis with a compass to see whether I have room at the specific location where the second dish must be mounted to see the third satellite.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks ts... I understand now and I'll have to do a little analysis with a compass to see whether I have room at the specific location where the second dish must be mounted to see the third satellite.

Appreciate the help!

look to the left of the dish 500.

Ok, guys, I'm a little confused (and it doesnt take much,seriously)

I'm in SE Wisconsin and recently upgraded to DISH-HD. They said I did not have the exposure for the new dish and had to come back a second day with the proper hardware to put up what you call the 61.5

I also then found out that my Milwaukee locals were not being passed on as HD and yesterday had a friend install a Winegard hd9505 put up on my roof. Anyway, those are now HD, just in time for the football games. And beside a handful of other HD channels I have the, what is it, 15 VOOM Network channels.

Is this all the HD channels I should be getting??

Last edited:
They.....had to come back a second day with the proper hardware to put up what you call the 61.5......beside a handful of other HD channels I have the, what is it, 15 VOOM Network channels.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys !

When they come back to install your 61.5 dish, you should be getting at least 17 national HD channels plus 15 Voom. Just press your Dish remote control GUIDE button until it takes you to the ALL HD guide.

A full listing of HD channels can be found in the links to the updated tables (redwing & dfergie) in Post #1 of the following:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/111417-hd-channel-list-dish-network-vs-directtv.html

Last edited:
Ok, guys, I'm a little confused (and it doesnt take much,seriously)

I'm in SE Wisconsin and recently upgraded to DISH-HD. They said I did not have the exposure for the new dish and had to come back a second day with the proper hardware to put up what you call the 61.5

I also then found out that my Milwaukee locals were not being passed on as HD and yesterday had a friend install a Winegard hd9505 put up on my roof. Anyway, those are now HD, just in time for the football games. And beside a handful of other HD channels I have the, what is it, 15 VOOM Network channels.

Hoophead
Milwaukee Locals are not yet availible from dish in HD yet, anyways ota they are better.

Depending on your package you might be missing a lot of HD channels. Quite a bit of HD stuff on 129/61.5

NBA TV, NHL Network, TBS, Big10, HD PPVs(129), RSNs, all the VOOMS, Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, VS, Science Channel, A&E, Cinemax, Universal, National Geographic, Starz, Food, HGTV, ESPN2, NFL... just to name a few.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

Depending on your package you might be missing a lot of HD channels. Quite a bit of HD stuff on 129/61.5

NBA TV, NHL Network, TBS, Big10, HD PPVs(129), RSNs, all the VOOMS, Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, VS, Science Channel, A&E, Cinemax, Universal, National Geographic, Starz, Food, HGTV, ESPN2, NFL... just to name a few.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

Thanks for the link!
I have DISH's America's Top 250

I've heard it said that Jay Leno and/or some of the late night talkers shows are excellent in HD but I have yet to come across any of those in that format...

I compared my HD channels to the above mentioned and there are several that I do not subscribe to that I was not aware of that would make a big difference in count total.

One thing that I am not overly happy with is that now I have an OTA antenna, anything from the antenna that I try to record on the receiver/dvr automatically records on TV1 vice TV2. This was not something I was aware of in advance and can be a pain in the ass as there will be conflicts to programs I have setup to record on a recurring basis.

Last edited:
I don't have a 622 but I always hear everyone ranting and raving about being able to record 2 programs via satellite and record one OTA at the same time.

You'll need a 2nd dish for 61.5. Here is map of the dish 1000 exclusions(shaded states).

Completely off the subject, but would you happen to have a map of 118.7 exclusions? A friend of mine who lives in the L.A. area said he was told that he couldn't get 118.7 in SoCal. Any truth to this? 118.7 comes in great here in Northern CA.

......One thing that I am not overly happy with is that now I have an OTA antenna, anything from the antenna that I try to record on the receiver/dvr automatically records on TV1 vice TV2. This was not something I was aware of in advance and can be a pain in the ass as there will be conflicts to programs I have setup to record on a recurring basis.

You have 1 OTA tuner and 2 Satellite channel tuners that let you record up to 3 programs at the same time, so it can say TV1, TV1, TV2 and not be a conflict.

You have 2 outputs (TV1,TV2) to watch the above 3 tuners and to watch a 4th video source(pre-recorded DVR).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)