Only true south

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
Now this is odd, I can only get my true south satellite and nothing more. Its not really my true south (since 74W is gone I am talking about AMC6 72). I even bumped the elevation a little and it didn't help. My setup is Primestar 84E SG2100 Coolsat5K and Prof7500

checklist:

- Is the motor moving?
- that's a big dish for 2100, ...
- has the dish-to-motor mount slipped?
- had the motor-to-pole mount slipped?
- has someone hit your dish with a ball (or a bird)?
- has someone hit your pole with the lawn mower?
- did frost-heave tilt your pole?

Try resetting your motor. My SG9120B did that one time. I went out and the green light was red. Nothing was wrong with wiring. So I reset motor and all was good.

- Is the motor moving? Motor is moving
- that's a big dish for 2100, ... It has been hooked up since I got the Primestar back in 2010
- has the dish-to-motor mount slipped? No
- had the motor-to-pole mount slipped? No
- has someone hit your dish with a ball (or a bird)? No
- has someone hit your pole with the lawn mower? No
- did frost-heave tilt your pole?
No

I will reset the motor thanks

Just FYI:
-Remove feedline at motor (from receiver)
-push both L and R buttons on the motor while re-connecting feedline
-green light should blink (resetting), when it stops the system is re-set abd ready to go.

I've had to do this on mine a few times too.

Cosmo,

You are correct in stating that this is "odd". But, there is certainly a definite reason for the change, obviously. Pinpointing the reason is the trouble.
I agree with Anole that the 84E dish is quite a load for the SG2100. I wonder if you are not experiencing a problem with the gear mesh or backlash?
If you grab the dish and gently try to move it by hand, can you see the motor stem move any more than it should or more than it used to?

This could make sense, in a way, if your near true south sat is the only one that still gets reception. Try motoring the dish from the east to this sat
and check your signal level, then come from the west to the same sat and same TP/channel and see if you detect a difference in the signal quality. If
there is a great deal of slack in the gear train, it might be discernible by the change in signal quality of the nearest true south or dead center satellite.

The sats in the further reaches of the arc may be so far off that they cannot be picked up at all because gravity is pulling the dish too far off the tracking.
This could be easily explained by way of age on the SG2100 motor and the heavy load that it has been carrying for the past few years.

At the top of the arc, the weight of the dish and its center of gravity might just be counter acting the slop in the motor gear train enough to keep lock on
the nearest due south sat, but when the motor is driven off to the east or west of the center of the arc, gravity and the weight of the dish might pull the
motor position off far enough to lose lock on the satellite.

I've been rolling this around in my head since you first posted this and I cannot really cite any other defect or error in alignment that could allow this if all the
other alignment angles have remained unchanged.

The backlash would be what I would scrutinize first.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)