Open Box S-9 V-Format question

billyboy_1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Southeast Missouri
Hey guys I have searched the threads and can't seem to find an answer to why the V-Format button won't take me back to a normal 480 res. I have accidentally hit it and now can't get it back to normal. I have hit the button,waited 5 seconds and repeated many many times and cannot get the "no OSD show, press V format key to switch" screen to go away. Help please !!!

I suppose you know you are just stuck in PAL mode. I couldn't find the blind menu instructions to go through to get the screen visible, but it is here on satguys as several of us used it over the past years. Keep searching or perhaps someone has a better memory than I and will post the instructions again..

Blind man's instuctions if using OpenBox HD outputs and stuck in non-supported mode This is for the guys that use HDMI or component HD outputs and accidentally get stuck in a non-supported mode like 50Hz PAL modes. Full credit goes to Ed B. for this, I did not write it. Thanks Ed!
-----------------------------------------------------
Openbox S-9 FTA Receiver

Recovering out of PAL Mode when using HDMI, 1080i_60 Hi Res and YUV Video

Accidently pressing the V. FORMAT button may force you into PAL 50 hz mode w/ BLACK screen, only.

BLIND Procedure to regain normal video using remote, and aimed carefully at the receiver:

Turn off rear pwr switch, then press pwr on to re-boot; allow ~20 sec for full boot (norm 17-18 sec)

On Remote, carefully press only the following keys in exact order

Press MENU [stops at Edit Ch.]

Press DN arrow 2x [stops at Sys Setup]

Press OK [stops at Language step]

Press DN arrow 1x [Enter TV Sys mode]

Press OK [Enter Video Res mode]

Press RIGHT arrow and pause (up to 8x) for 1080i_60 (or 720p_60); see the on screen video menu

Press EXIT 3x to view normal channel hi-res video

Since I updated the firmware in OB S-9 to S9,S10,S11,S12_06182012.abs, it may be my imagination but the audio seems to be a bit scratchy. Anyone else having such a problem ?

Billyboy, I'd try reloading the FW one more time. May have been a 'hiccup' the first time 'round. Seems I had some flakey operation, quite a while ago so can't remember details, where loading the firm a second time 'fixed' it.

a lot of times you have to knock the volume down on the receiver itself or the audio gets distorted.
I think the optimum was around 50 or 60%

I tried that and the audio settings and still has a roughness to the audio. Not real bad but just enough to bother me. I'm going to try another file just to see if there are any changes. Thanks so much guys.

Tried a different file and same problem. Must be the receiver or maybe the modulator. I was thinking about trying newer receiver. I have had very good luck with the S-9. Are the newer ones (S-10, S-11.etc) that much better ?

Really don't think any of the higher # models are any better.
Are you using an outboard NTSC modulator?? I have since day one with this S9. If so, try a direct connection to a television to rule out the modulator. Or/and try another 'source' to feed signal to the modulator.
I'd personally opt for a microHD before going to another 'no support' box of unknown questionable source if it is the receiver. If/when this one dies, or maybe sooner, a mHD is coming here (or maybe the new model in the works)
Before that I was going to say:
might try this:
load the FW here http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=252
save the Ch list (American satellites)
(Maybe even use this version if it works well enough)
Then download the 9-10-11-12 FW again
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=317
load it, then reboot and load the CH List saved from the previous version.
Guess that's what I'd try anyway.

Thanks for the info. I might try the MHD. I do have a way of going direct A/V to the tv but I would have to run a cable quite a way. I never had the rough audio before so I'm not sure just where it's coming from.

Well I did a test with an A/V cable ran across the room and found that the rough audio is still there so that tells me it's the receiver. I don't remember that same sound before so I'm not really sure what's up.

New discovery...I have three S-9's and two of the three have this scratchy audio now after flashing new upgrade s/w. I at first thought it was just the unit but when another one has the same issue I'm really lost. Has anyone heard of this before ??

New discovery...I have three S-9's and two of the three have this scratchy audio now after flashing new upgrade s/w. I at first thought it was just the unit but when another one has the same issue I'm really lost. Has anyone heard of this before ??

I found that the July 17, 2011 FW was the best version released for the S-9. All since then had little or no improvements, messed up the menus and audio.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=316

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)