Open letter to Jim Tressel

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK coach, another big game is upon us, against another big non-conference opponent. This is your team's chance to remind us of all the reasons we love you as a coach.

When you first arrived, we loved you simply because you weren't John Cooper. That in itself was a victory for the school. Then you brought back some of the traditions Cooper ignored, and we loved you even more. Then you went ahead and started winning big games left and right, and infatuation spread throughout Ohio, and even to the Jersey Shore.

You recruited well and, most importantly, started beating Michigan. A national championship and some terrific bowl game victories followed, and the Buckeye steamroller was well on it's way.

But somehow, two years ago the steamroller stalled. It wasn't just losses, you've accrued so much equity that we should be able to shrug off the inevitable losses that are bound to happen sometimes when you play the best teams in the country.

It was more the way your teams lost. They seemed unprepared, mistake-prone, and unable to cope with the big stage. And your in-game coaching decisions left you open to second-guessing.

Against Florida I was sure Ted Ginn returning the opening kickoff for a TD was a sign we were going to blow them out. Against LSU I was glad for the chance to redeem ourselves, and it was just as bad as the Florida game. Against USC I was nervous, I wasn't sure if we could handle them in LA. Now as we head into tonight's game, I'm very nervous.

To be fair, you had some bad luck. Ted Ginn getting hurt on the first offensive play from scrimmage was bad. Beanie Wells not playing against USC was bad too. Neither injury probably affected the outcome, but they certainly didn't help.

Now is our chance to show the college football world Ohio State is still a force. Texas is a very good team, but so are we, so hopefully it'll be a good game. I'm not saying we need to win...although that would be nice. Losing to Texas would not be a disaster. But beating ourselves again, the way we've done in those previous games, would be.

Here's hoping for a game with limited mistakes, solid execution of the game plan, sound coaching decisions, and putting the team in the best possible position to win. If we do that and don't win, we'll tip our hat to the other team.

This could be an important springboard into the 2009 season.

Sandra

Win or lose, it's not going to be the fault of "The Vest". Instead, it'll simply be because we played a better team with better players.

With that said, this has statement game written all over it. Go Bucks!!!

Texas better be careful.

The last two seasons, a heavily-favored Big 12 team lost in the Fiesta Bowl.

Also, we saw what happened with Texas Tech and Alabama against teams that were given no chance.

Win or lose, it's not going to be the fault of "The Vest". Instead, it'll simply be because we played a better team with better players.

With that said, this has statement game written all over it. Go Bucks!!!

I hope not. But if the team comes out and plays like they're not ready for the big stage again, commits a lot of penalties and turns the ball over a lot, or Tressel makes bad decisions/adjustments, then it would be the fault of the Vest.

I really don't want to hear a lot of excuses tomorrow, like the team hadn't played in a while. All of these teams are off for way more time than they're used to, and the good teams are prepared to hit the ground running.

And the 'Pryor is just a freshman' card is old now too. The kid has been in a lot of big games, he should be ready for this one. If he isn't play Boeckman.

Win the game (or just compete in it and lose to a better team with better players), and we'll all be happy.

Sandra

I hope not. But if the team comes out and plays like they're not ready for the big stage again, commits a lot of penalties and turns the ball over a lot, or Tressel makes bad decisions/adjustments, then it would be the fault of the Vest.

I really don't want to hear a lot of excuses tomorrow, like the team hadn't played in a while. All of these teams are off for way more time than they're used to, and the good teams are prepared to hit the ground running.

And the 'Pryor is just a freshman' card is old now too. The kid has been in a lot of big games, he should be ready for this one. If he isn't play Boeckman.

Win the game (or just compete in it and lose to a better team with better players), and we'll all be happy.

Sandra

I agree.

BTW, in pregame interviews, the Vest was hinting at playing Boeckman more than what we've seen recently. I think he has something up his sleeve with this gameplan....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts