OpenBox S-9 Problem/Failure. Looking for a New Receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotTy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Wa
A few months ago, I discovered I had to leave my OpenBox on all the time because when I shut it off at night, the HDMI output to the TV would quit working but the composite (RCA jacks) still worked I discovered by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging back in fixed the HDMI problem. Since then, there had been two times that it was accidentally turned off and both times, the box had to be unplugged for a few minutes then plugged back in.

This trick of unplugging the box for a few minutes doesn't work anymore. There is absolutely no signal at the HDMI output.

I tried another known working cable and a different input to the TV and nothing.

Since the OpenBox is like cell phones and other electronic Chinese import junk with a 2 year life span, can anyone recommend any other FTA receiver. I read that the MicroHD is pretty good.

That's where I'l go [microHD] when this S9 gives up the ghost. But maybe by then SatAV's next model may be out. Think I read that it's scheduled for some time this year. (2nd Q ?)
Have you tried reloading the FW? [sounds like it may not be a hardware failure]

Nope.
I don't even know how.
But I might learn.
I can still watch it on the composite input though.

I tried hooking up to the green-red-blue RCA jacks in the back plus the sound jacks and I have a picture again in High Def. What are these jacks called? On the TV, it says "Component In". If that's the case, what is the single yellow jack that displays the green hue called? Composite?
The green-red-blue looks the same as the HDMI.
Looks like I'll hold off from getting the MicroHD a couple more months.

Yellow jack is the composite signal. In the component mode it is providing the sync for the television.

Check the resolution setting of the TV using the component input. Component connections are analog signals and quite often these outputs are limited to a reduced resolution.

The OpenBox is set at 1080i-60. The TV is 720p. The picture looks the same through the component input as it does through the HDMI input.
As far as telling what resolution the TV is currently running at is a mystery. When I hit the "Info" button for the TV, nothing happens.

So are you saying that HDMI can reach 1080i but the component signal might not be able to? What about 720p? The picture is crisp and clear as ever.

component can go up to 1080i
thats the red/green/blue cables

big difference is component needs audio cables too.....HDMI does not

Just checked again.
Composite works.
Component works.
HDMI doesn't work. Just says "No Signal". That's a bummer.

I'm using the component out (red,blue,green)with the S9. It provides 1080i to my TV no problem. Picture quality just as good as with HDMI cable.

Oops, I forgot to mention, make sure the HDMI connectors are are properly seated. Sometimes they appear to be inserted but not seated properly. It has happened to me.

Cool then that I'm not loosing any resolution through the component connection.

I also tried your suggestion jorgek and even switched the HDMI cables with my Roku. Still nothing. It could be software problems but since the picture is good and is showing HD quality, I think I'll continue using this set up for a while until I get enough money saved up for the MicroHD,

Thanks for the help and information.

Status
Please reply by conversation.