OTHER OpenBox S16 dying, replacing with GeoSatPRO microHD, new to FTA satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blgli

Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Chicago, IL
I am helping my grandfather out as he does not speak much English. He initially had someone come in and install a satellite dish and whatnot and he has 1 FTA channel from Serbia which is primarily what he watches as he doesn't understand the other languages of the other channels. He does not pay monthly for the service at all just paid the guy a 1 time setup fee.

Here is where the problem lies and I hope I am posting this in the correct subforum.

The receiver he has currently is the OpenBox S16 HD PVR and it is having problems turning on and slowly dying. I am assuming he really doesn't need the same receiver as it seems capable of a lot more and all he wants to watch is FTA channels. I have bought a replacement receiver and the GeoSatPRO microHD receiver is what I have coming to me.

Now I am new to the FTA satellite game, I do have a degree in computer science so I understand some of the lingo and what not but this is all new territory for me. I had a few questions hopefully someone can help me out.

I have not been to my grandpas house lately so I am unsure which satellite the dish is pointing to. I do know the channel he watches is RTS SAT which from what I gather is only available on Eutelsat 16 East. But from what I have gathered searching online Eutelsat 16 East is not a satellite that can be reached from North America, specifically Chicago, IL where his house is. Is this correct or am I completely confused?

Now I had another question as far as channels go. He did say he has a lot of other channels none of which he watches. But if my theory is true that the dish is pointed to Eutelsat 16 East and from looking at the FTA channels offered on that satellite I see that there are 150+ FTA channels and at least a handful more from Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia which he would be able to understand. There is a Eutelsat 16A and 16B and both have some channels he would be interested in, if its the case that his satellite is pointing correctly would I be able to catch all those channels from A and B for him?

Lastly what is the easiest way to go about setting up the geosatpro micro hd receiver when I go there to switch it out? Do channel searches usually do a good job at picking up all the FTA channels available on that satellite? Is it possible to program channels manually if the receiver did not pick them up? If so how would I go about that? Also is there a way to edit the channel list so it only shows channels that I want? Being that my grandfather is old, it'd be a lot easier for him just to use channel up and down rather than inputting the actual channel number.

Welcome blgli. After checking lyngsat.com I found RTS on 97w (Galaxy 19). There is also a Serbian radio channel listed. There are also some Russian channels on 97w but don't know if they are useful to your grandfather. A blind scan will find many channels, maybe too many. Definitely do a scan on the transponder that RTS is on (12084 V 22000) and maybe add from there. I don't have the microHD but most receivers have a favorites list so if you add the channels he can watch to that he will be able to switch easily between them. :)

Thanks a lot for the help FTA4PA!

Just did a dish pointer on my grandpas address and judging from what it tells me there and the google satellite view of his house the dish looks like its pointed in the exact direction of 97W.

Now I know years ago my dad had satellite here at my house which is about 10 miles north of my grandpas. We had many more channels from Serbia, and I remember him having two dishes mounted on the back of the house. I believe one was for Dish TV and the other for Serbian TV. I'm almost sure it was a paid service for the Serbian TV. I'm assuming this paid service was still over the Galaxy 19 (97W) satellite? Or is it possible that there is another satellite I can move the dish to get more FTA Serbian channels?

Perhaps it was Globecast as they were on 97w but I believe they stopped service a few years back (but don't quote me on it). :)

Globecast sounds awfully familiar. Pretty sure it was that because every search for how to get Serbian TV here in the states has been using IPTV. Sucks for my grandpa because he refuses to get a decent broadband connection and pay for the IPTV service but it seems like that's his only option if he wants more channels. Thanks again!

Eutelast 16A at 16 degrees East, no way whatsoever to get that here.

Kind of had a feeling. Well, nonetheless, thanks for the help guys! Looks like he'll have to get an Internet connection if he remotely wants to have anymore than one channel.

And FTA4PA you were correct. Just talked to my dad and he remembers GlobeCast, and from a little search online it looks like they discontinued service to the states back in 2013.

Globecast sounds awfully familiar. Pretty sure it was that because every search for how to get Serbian TV here in the states has been using IPTV. Sucks for my grandpa because he refuses to get a decent broadband connection and pay for the IPTV service but it seems like that's his only option if he wants more channels. Thanks again!
Glad to help! Yes, many things going to internet distribution. Best of luck getting something set up for your grandfather. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)