openbox s9 hd freeze problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
I have an open box s9 hd. This receiver has been really good, but occasionally freezes up on me. Changing the channel used to work and now I have to shut it off for a minute or two. Even then I may have freezing picture issue. Has anyone else experienced this? My Manhattan receiver does not do this so the problem has to be with this box. What should I do?

pop the cover off and see if it makes a difference.
sounds like it's running hot.
I have a fan on my s10 processor.
Rule of thumb;if you burn your finger on the heatsink it's time to install a fan.

I occasionally have this problem if I tune in an HD channel with timeshift turned on. Turning off timeshifr solves the problem for me.

Yes. I leave it off unless I want to use it for something. Then I'll turn it on and use it unless it freezes up on me. It doesn't happen on all channels just a few so if you leave it off when not using it you will eliminate freeze ups. At least it works for me.

Mine did the same thing on certain channels no matter what I did. Changing to one of the firmwares solved it(don't remember which one now), but then it had bad audio-video sync problems. Don't use that receiver anymore. I run newer boxes now and have not run that one in awhile. I did fix it at the end though by loading manhattan firmware in it and using a manhattan remote. ;)

My Openbox S9 still sits in the operating position along with my microHD. The S9 works more reliably to drive my motor through a long 200-foot RG-6 run. Perhaps it's able to source more current or its current output is more poorly regulated (just guessing)? The S9 also delivers SR 45000 channels on 15W which the microHD cannot. Finally, I still like the ability to connect to my S9 through my home network for channel database manipulation and off-receiver backups on my PC.

I personally have had good luck using C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT. I believe it was distributed as DEEP_C2DS2_CMT_1112130641.rar. However, I only use Ku band. I've read that overall a good version is SkyBox_S9_CMT_110717.rar. Many firmware versions are located here. Standard rules: 1) Save existing transponders list first, 2) Upgrade firmware, 3) Reinstall backed-up transponders list.

These versions fixed the S9 timer issue to allow the clock to run relatively reliably and therefore its DVR to be used. You leave the S9 powered continuously for best performance. I can pause or replay live TV and record the same as the microHD can.

Last edited:
Good info cyberham. I use the Fridge version S10-07012011.abs for the mpeg2/ mp4 playback. Does the version you are using allow playing mp4 media files?

Its unfortunate but not all S9 STBS were created equal. They all seem to respond differently to the various versions of firmware thats out there.
The SkyBox_S9_CMT_110717.rar. does not work well on my S9, it causes the audio to break up every so often.

The C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT ran well for about 3 months then the remote started to misbehave, I had to constantly reboot the box with the switch on the back and it lacks theTV and radio edit and sort function.

So I reverted back to my old standby S9_11_08_30.abs which is version C2HS2-11-08-24:0679CMT.
It does not have the timer standby feature but it does have the great sort and edit function for the TV and radio channels the audio is back to normal as is the remote ON/OFF.

To each his own.

Some times don't get to 'play' for a day or two. And sometimes when I do 'turn it on'* it's a frozen picture. For what I remember, it's done that only a few times., and it's usually ME or This that it's been left on.
*S9 is ON 24/7, turning it on infers tuning to the channel I have its outboard modulator set to.
Firware version: C2HS2-12-06-18:05E3CMT
Also tried the DEEP release and had good results. Can't remember why I switched, notes are on a crashed computer.

When I tried playing an mp4, it played the audio, but reported "Video codec not support!" and did not play video.

Thanks for checking. Didn't figure my luck was that good, but was worth a shot. Guess I'll have to stick with what I have.

The only thing I don't like about the firmware I'm using is having to keep the timeshift turned off when not in use to prevent freeze ups. But that's still less trouble than converting files. Timeshift works 98% of the time when I want to use it so I'm not really losing functionality. Just have to change one setting when I want to use it.

Thanks for checking. Didn't figure my luck was that good, but was worth a shot. Guess I'll have to stick with what I have.

firmware was designed to play formats it records,not stuff you stick on that can play on a pc better anyway like .avi

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts