openbox S9HD remote fix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davidltv

Sep 12, 2010
Ottawa
The remote control problem on the openbox S9HD was bodering me so much that today I have devoted my day to find a fix or at least try to know where it is coming from and after some experiment I think I have found what is wrong.

The problem is an hardware one. The remote sensor in the receiver must be replaced with a different one because the one that they are using at the factory is causing all of the problems. Since I bought this receiver, the remote was always sluggish, slow to respond and worst, sometime you sent a command with the remote and the receiver will do another function than the one is supposed to do, or even worst, the receiver will intermittently not respond to a command sent by the remote.

I think that you should not waste your time replacing the remote. Since I have replaced the IR sensor in my receiver the remote is functioning as it should be. I have used an old IR sensor that I took on an old Pansat 2500 clone receiver. For those of you who are technically savvy and know how to replace this sensor (soldering skills required) you can take a look at the pictures that I am sending with this post. I only hope that someone who knows someone at the company that makes this receiver will send my post or notify them of my finding so that they can fix the problem at the source.

These openbox receivers still have some bugs to be fixed in the firmware, but for me now that the remote is working fine I can say that I like it way more than my pansat 9200 HD and it is now my main receiver.

Attachments

• remove front board.jpg
    remove front board.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 216
  • new sensor.jpg
    new sensor.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Bad sensor.jpg
    Bad sensor.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 217
  • sensor location.jpg
    sensor location.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Yes I think so. As long as the pinout is the same. When the sensor is in front of you, pin at the bottom like in the picture of the bad sensor, the pinout from left to right is:

pin 1:IR out
pin 2:GND
pin 3: B+

I think the oldest sensors that where used at the end of the 80 and beginning of the 90 that where encapsulated in a rectagular metal box does not have the same pinout. But if I am mistaking and the pinout is the same then it should work.

The best sensor to use are the one just like in the picture of the new one that I have installed in my box. They are sheilded in a metal case unlike the bad one used originaly. I am still very very very happy with the result, my received is fonctionning perfecly now with the remote.

Attach is a picture of the type of sensor I have used.

Attachments

• New IR sensor.jpg
    New IR sensor.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
great save!

What would be nice is to find a friendly (local) source of the better sensors.
I know they're a $1 item, but if something from Radio Shack for $5 would work, that would help out a lot of people.

Also, it may be possible (depending on how the sensor is built), that a bias resistor on the board could fix the problem
Since I don't have one of these receivers, I'll leave the idea on the table for others. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)