openbox won't recognize new drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
I just bought a wd 500gig external drive at wally world and the s10 won't recognize it.
XP looks for drivers for the case,that is not a good sign.
I have to figure out how to get rid of the virtual cd drive which chews up space and appears as the drive letter before the hardrive.
My theory is the openbox sees the 1st drive as a cd and burps.

Best thing to do is to format it on a computer first. Thats what I had to do with my 500GB drive (same drive proabbly..bought at wally world too) :)
Once its formatted on the computer then you can reformat it on the SSO

I tried it on a different pc,it goes through the install ritual and want's to set a password.
Then it has a setting for virtual cd and wants the password removed.
I removed the password and it only has an option to hide/show the virtual cd,not actually get rid of it.
I hid the virtual cd and cycled power on the hardrive(external supply)
Formatted whatever was left of the drive as fat32,s10 still doesn't see it.
I am running the 5-22 firmware,but that should make no difference.
xp looks for a driver(which is on the virtual cd)That may be a factor.
All my other cases that worked with the s10 were plug and pray.

The 11-27 s9 firmware recognizes the drive,I am formatting now.
So it was a receiver firmware issue.
I don't know how far back I can go before the problem starts,I will have to play.

Is it supposed to take hours to format with the s10?
I never did a drive that big.
Over 1 hour now.

heck no. Should take 5 minutes tops
I formatted mine on the Manhattan in like 2 or 3 minutes
Formatted a 320GB on the azbox in about 8

I shut it down after 1.5 hours.
I had to format with the pc to fix.
I don't think there is any way to get rid of the virtual cd unless you stick the drive in another case and do a low level format.
The old sandisk usb sticks had a program called launchpad remover that would remove the virtual cd from those.

low level format in original case,5hours 10 minutes and it's still there.
BTW transfer rate was not much better than a pata drive in a usb2.0 case.
33MBs as opposed to 31MBs

still get the drive speed too slow message,even on sd recording.
It won't stop recording,when I hit the stop button it says yes/no then the receiver locks up.
Basically won't record at all from the s10.
Hooked to a pc it works fine,I can copy files to it.

smash and grab

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/263191-western-digital-usb-hdd-openbox-s9.htmlSince then, I've found that the VCD(virtual CD) is in hardware. Therefore, cannot be removed, reformatted, etc.
You have to remove the hardrive from their case and stick it in another one,low level format(takes hours) then use the drive in your own case.
A moot point now,I returned the drive and got my money back.
Yesterday after I bought the drive the associate mentioned they still had 1 black friday drive.
Today I axed him if he still had it,he had to go in the back room to get it.
Seagate 1.5Tb drive for $60 so it was actually $10 cheaper than the WD 500gig.
Now back to the original problem,the s10 doesn't detect it even after formatting on the pc first.
This s10 has been a hair ripper from day 1.I am using the 10-10-2011 firmware.I will try different firmwares.

Even the seagate has a 33MBs transfer rate,so they are not much faster than the pata drive in a usb2.0 case.

june 2011 firmware is the only month of firmwares that recognized the seagate 1.5Tb.
Nothing prior or after did.
But I can't record or even save a dump to the hardrive,the receiver locks up and I have to cycle power.
I ripped the drive out of the seagate case and stuck it in a usb2.0 case that originally held a dvd burner.
The drive when plugged into the pc shows as a TSSTcorp usb mass storage the proper size.
Any s10 firmware recognizes it and I formatted with the s10 for fat32 in about 2 minutes.
But using pentagon hd for the torture test I still get "device speed too slow for playback" and the receiver freezes.
Using the dec 7 firmware,which is the latest as of this writing.
So looks like I will never be able to record hd with the s10,I can't keep buying external drives.

I've recorded HD fine with my S9. Once in a while it won't work, maybe the bit rate is too high on some feeds, but overall it works. I have a 2.5" Western Digital SATA drive, model WD1600BEVS-22VAT, in a cheap random-Chinese-brand USB enclosure.

I was tempted to get usb3.0 at wally world,but that drive was 500gig no external power.
Same price was a usb2.0 but 640gig.
I settled for the 1.5Tb usb2.0 and chose poorly.

No problems with recording HD on the S9 as long as the bitrate doesn't get too high. I've gone up to 20-25 megabits without any problems, but high bitrate feeds stutter.

February and the microHD can't come soon enough, especially with the Summer Olympic feeds that are sure to be bitrate monsters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)