Openbox X3 / SkyBox F3 / Skybox M3 Is there a Difference?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For anyone interested, the skybox f3 and the openbox x3 are the same as far as hardware, only cosmetically different. They both have the same features. The reason I know is, I emailed yojiatech and asked them to post a pdf users manual for the f3 on their web site and their reply was to use the x3 manual as they are both the same.

Good info Squid385, and k4est. Squid385 so then I guess your North American Sat list will work for the X3? Where is it and how do you load it on the X3 after I do the Firmware Upgrade?

Last edited:
The unit powered up and it was in 50hz mode, which my monitor cannot handle. I had to read the manual to find the V.format button on the remote would solve my problem.

First time I've heard of that button solving problems instead of creating them ;) ...

First upgrade to the new fw. To do that, format usb to fat 32, unzip the file I uploaded here and put it on usb, insert usb into box-should say usb A connected, go to menu and choose dump by usb, save image file to usb (there will be a pull down menu so you can select image file), save to usb. Next, choose upgrade by usb, use pull down menu to select image file (abs file you unzipped) and save to box. Do not interrupt this process, when finished box should reboot with new file. To change satellite list to american: Put file that I uploaded here on usb (unzip first), insert usb in box and make sure it is recognized, go to menu-upgrade by usb, choose misc. on pull down menu (there will be another sub menu where you can choose your file) and save to box. Stb should reboot after fw upgrade, if not, reboot manually. Jsattv, there is a new american sat list on the UK site for X3. Although the f3 fw may work on x3, I would only use f3 fw on f3 and x3 fw on x3. At least till someone test one on the other, despite what yojiatech said. This is the best I can remember off the top of my head, so you may have to play around with these boxes to find better procedure. That is what I had to do. Yes, the v-format button works fine on the f3.

vformat worked on earlier versions of s9 and s10 firmware also. I have not tried it on the newest ones or the s12.

vformat worked on earlier versions of s9 and s10 firmware also. I have not tried it on the newest ones or the s12.
ke4est,
I am assuming that you have an s9 or s10. The problem I have with the f3 is it records to slow on s2 channels. I have a 3.5" 80GB external hard drive with 7200 rpm rotational speed, 8MB buffer, 9ms seek time. It is powered by an adapter from the wall and is in an external metal enclosure with cooling fans. It is formatted for NTFS file system. It works fine on sd and montana pbs channels and when I record on s2 it records just fine. When I play s2 recording, it comes up message "device to slow" and starts skipping and freezing sometimes. All sd and montana pbs recordings play just fine. I have been recording with TS or PS in off position. Have you had similiar problems with s9, s10 etc. Thanks.

Yes same thing here on the s10 I have not messed with it in awhile though. I did try it a few months ago with different firmware versions. Some didn't even record right, but the ones that did, did fine on SD stuff. On HD it would say device too slow.

First upgrade to the new fw. To do that, format usb to fat 32, unzip the file I uploaded here and put it on usb, insert usb into box-should say usb A connected, go to menu and choose dump by usb, save image file to usb (there will be a pull down menu so you can select image file), save to usb. Next, choose upgrade by usb, use pull down menu to select image file (abs file you unzipped) and save to box. Do not interrupt this process, when finished box should reboot with new file. To change satellite list to american: Put file that I uploaded here on usb (unzip first), insert usb in box and make sure it is recognized, go to menu-upgrade by usb, choose misc. on pull down menu (there will be another sub menu where you can choose your file) and save to box. Stb should reboot after fw upgrade, if not, reboot manually. Jsattv, there is a new american sat list on the UK site for X3. Although the f3 fw may work on x3, I would only use f3 fw on f3 and x3 fw on x3. At least till someone test one on the other, despite what yojiatech said. This is the best I can remember off the top of my head, so you may have to play around with these boxes to find better procedure. That is what I had to do. Yes, the v-format button works fine on the f3.

Squid 385 thanks for the detailed info. I am confused in that there are 3 entries in Sat Guys Firmware for the Openbox X3: 1) 2.22 mb file, 2) 2.31 mb file, and 3) the Skybox Upgrade tool for RS 232 plug in upgrades. Which one is the actual FW file that I can unzip (if this is needed) and then load onto my 2 GHz USB stick to plug into back of X3 Receiver,- like I do for the AzBox FW Upgrades? I tried downloading and Unzipping X3 files 1) and 2) and it said: Windows cannot open the file? What am I doing wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.

Hmm interesting....those files are dated and and they are just two different versions of firmware. Let me have a look at them and see what I can do to fix them. The RS232 files(there is also one for the x3) are for upgrading the firmware via RS232 you will not need them for usb.

There is one I uploaded for the Skybox F3M3 and one for the OpenBox X3 even though I think they are the same files with different names, but like I said you will not need them for usb upgrading.

Ok just checked they download and unzip fine too a .abs file now of course windows will not know what to do with the abs file. As long as you can get the abs file extracted you will be fine.

ke4est,
I have uploaded a new openbox x3 fw file with the NA sat list already in it. It is from yojiatech so I hope it is not a repeat of the one you posted. Haven't checked in my f3, but maybe it will help jsatt. Thanks.

ke4est,
I have uploaded a new openbox x3 fw file with the NA sat list already in it. It is from yojiatech so I hope it is not a repeat of the one you posted. Haven't checked in my f3, but maybe it will help jsatt. Thanks.

Squid385 all 3 files for Openbox X3 are still dated 05/31/2012 where is the newer one? I thought that the F3 and X3 had different FW? ke4est I can unzip Both the 2.31 & 2.22MB files so then would they BOTH be unzipped & loaded on my USB Stick and pluged into the USB Port on the Openbox X3 for the FW upgrade when I get it next week?

Squid385 all 3 files for Openbox X3 are still dated 05/31/2012 where is the newer one? I thought that the F3 and X3 had different FW? ke4est I can unzip Both the 2.31 & 2.22MB files so then would they BOTH be unzipped & loaded on my USB Stick and pluged into the USB Port on the Openbox X3 for the FW upgrade when I get it next week?
The one I uploaded yesterday is dated 5-21-2012 for the openbox x3. It is supposed to have the american sat list included in the firmware. It is probably still in the moderation que and won't be available untill a moderator post it in the fw section. Remember that I haven't tried any fw for the x3. The one I uploaded for x3 came from yojiatech, so try at your own risk. Just unzip it and copy to your usb drive. Then follow the directions I posted in this thread.

On the F3 I managed to download the NA sat list and get it installed last night. I also put in the firmware available here. It seems a bit less clunky now. I just need to get the motor realigned with the arc so I can start using USALS. Thanks for putting the files up here!! Way to go Squid385 and KE4EST!!!! Bleeding edge here we come!

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

ke4est,

Yes it is the same one so I merged them.

They may show 5-31 but that is when I zipped them and uploaded them. Look at the file name itself before you download there is one dated 5-10 and one date 5-21. The 5-21 is of coarse the newer version. That is the one I would load when you get your receiver. There is only 2 the 3rd one you mention is the RS232 files that you will not need if using USB.

They may show 5-31 but that is when I zipped them and uploaded them. Look at the file name itself before you download there is one dated 5-10 and one date 5-21. The 5-21 is of coarse the newer version. That is the one I would load when you get your receiver. There is only 2 the 3rd one you mention is the RS232 files that you will not need if using USB.

Okay I rec'd Openbox X3 today but not with proper AC Cord which I posted about on in a separate thread. My question is does the 5-21 file have the newest Firmware & the North American Satellite List on it from Squid385? And again would I need to unzip the 5-21 ABS File, and then load it on my 2 GHz USB stick formatted re Fat 32 and then load it on the new Openbox X3? Sorry about all the questions as this is all new stuff to me.

Yep you have it right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts