opinion on small c-band dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
Am considering getting a 180CM Mesh dish or a 165CM Prime Focus dish.
Hoping to receive descent number (40%) of c-band transponders.
Size and $ are a consideration to me, would appreciate any input and LNB rec. for this dish, preferably c-band only LNB not LNB/KU combo.

Go with biggest you can afford and be able to install. As for LNB would recommend this one: http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/c1pll Titanium is a member here and contributes a lot of useful information. I think he even offers a discount for users of this site.

I would really recommend going for at least an 8 footer (240 CM) if you can. If you are not fighting HOA or City Fathers, you will be much happier.

Whatever you go with, have fun doing it.

When I started this hobby I bought an inexpensive 180cm solid panel dish and a c/Ku combo LNB. The dish was not well made but I was able to receive est 80% of the C band transponders in my limited arc viewing angle. You might have difficulty in receiving DVB S2 transponders on C band.

For consistent DVB-S2 C-band reception at your location you'll need at least an 8 footer. I'm a little farther south and west of you and my 7.5 footer just holds it's own.

Am considering getting a 180CM Mesh dish or a 165CM Prime Focus dish.
Hoping to receive descent number (40%) of c-band transponders.
Size and $ are a consideration to me, would appreciate any input and LNB rec. for this dish, preferably c-band only LNB not LNB/KU combo.
That 40% number would work out pretty good if you could choose what channels you would end up getting. My guess would be that you would get just enough reliably with the smaller dish to make you want a larger one. I agree with bpalone about getting the biggest that you can legally afford to get and install correctly.

Reactions: dfecarter
Would you recommend the above C1PL Titanium LNB for the mesh dish, or more so for the prime focus paneled dish?
Yeah I hear what you are saying bout the S2 signals, does anyone know if the Luken Chs. on 83W are all S2 format?

Prime focus isn't related to what the reflector is made of.

prime v offset.jpg

Reactions: migold
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)