opinions on HR21-100

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
I'm a current dish customer and I'm thinking of going to direc. i just purchased a brand new HR21-100 for $115. i was wondering what are your opinions on this HDDVR. Also I'm thinking on waiting for a switch that direc is working on for single wire installations according to a CSR. Have any of you heard something on this? One more question, is it a problem that i don't have a land line? Thank you for your responses :)

Re: Land line question

The short answer is no, a land line is not required for complete dvd/hd/etc. functionality.

There is only one bit of functionality that you cannot get w/out a landline. You cannot order PPV via your remote/tv. You must order online or via phone (no biggie to me).

I switched over from cable in Dec '07...haven't looked back once!

i actually paid this on ebay. looked like a good deal. thanks for your response.

It has been reported that a future software upgrade may allow PPV purchases without a phone line if you have the unit connected to the internet.

Also, the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) is now available in limited areas.

Just to make sure you are aware, you did not buy the receiver. The $115 was a lease upgrade fee.

yes i know that no matter what directv will always own the equipment.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you understood that. Many don't realize that and they get mad when they find out.

To answer your questions.

The single wire DVR solution is currently available.
DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch With Power Supply (8 Channel) (SWM-8) | SWM-8 [DIRECTV] | au9 au9-s au9s au 9 WBS41202NF KAKU DISH KUKA DISH KA/KU KU/KA Wide Band 5 lnb multiswitch ka ku SWM-8 SWM8 SWM 8 DIRECTV MULTISWITCH swim switches SWIM

The land line is not needed. You can also use an Ethernet connection if you have one available. I would strongly recommend using an Ethernet connection as you will then have access to the video on demand library.

I do not have the HR21 but have the HR20 models and the only thing that I have to complain about is the slow remote. They have been working on this but it is still slow in responding.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you understood that. Many don't realize that and they get mad when they find out.

To answer your questions.

The single wire DVR solution is currently available.
DIRECTV SWM-8 Single Wire Multi-Switch With Power Supply (8 Channel) (SWM-8) | SWM-8 [DIRECTV] | au9 au9-s au9s au 9 WBS41202NF KAKU DISH KUKA DISH KA/KU KU/KA Wide Band 5 lnb multiswitch ka ku SWM-8 SWM8 SWM 8 DIRECTV MULTISWITCH swim switches SWIM

The land line is not needed. You can also use an Ethernet connection if you have one available. I would strongly recommend using an Ethernet connection as you will then have access to the video on demand library.

I do not have the HR21 but have the HR20 models and the only thing that I have to complain about is the slow remote. They have been working on this but it is still slow in responding.

the swm5 is the same thing right? except that it's 5 channels? are they coming up with anything cheaper than the swm8 $300? i don't have this problem with E*. It does all this in the lnb itself. i never had to spend money to run a single wire installation.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all your responses so far. thank you.

I'm trying to decide between E* and Dtv right now. Can I plug an OTA into the back of Dtv's HD DVR to get my locals or do I have to pay to get them with Dtv? Also, I was under the impression when I paid $199 (then a $100 instant rebat) for the HD DVR it was mine to keep. Is this not the case with Dtv. I had E* before and paid $300 to lease the 722 I believe and was trying to get away from paying to lease again.

Both providers you now lease. The hardware is too expensive to sell for these prices.

With D Locals are free. So if you use OTA you dont have to pay.. BUT if you get the new HD DVR it does not include an OTA tuner. That costs $50 to add.

Last edited:
Both providers you now lease. The hardware is too expensive to sell for these prices.

With D Localc are free. So yif you use OTA you dont have to pay.. BUT if you get the new HD DVR it does not include an OTA tuner. That costs $50 to add.

YES but with E* when you hook up ota if you don't pay for locals you can still get them but with no program guide info.

Interesting, so if I go into best buy to get Dtv I don't walk out with a receiver anymore?

You walk out with a receiver but you don't own it. You sign saying that you will activate the receiver within so many days or you will be charged full price for the DVR.

the swm5 is the same thing right? except that it's 5 channels? are they coming up with anything cheaper than the swm8 $300? i don't have this problem with E*. It does all this in the lnb itself. i never had to spend money to run a single wire installation.

I had Dish and this was not possible with the Dish 1000 that I had. I would of had to purchase the dp44 switch in order to have the single wire solution. At that time the dp44 switch was close to $200 if I remember correctly.

I had Dish and this was not possible with the Dish 1000 that I had. I would of had to purchase the dp44 switch in order to have the single wire solution. At that time the dp44 switch was close to $200 if I remember correctly.

i understand. my current lnb does have this built in. i'm pointing at 61.5w,110,119 and ota over a single line to my dual tuner DVR vip 622. it's all dishpro. but D* emailed me that they are working on a lnb that has the multi switch built in. so i don't know if to wait for this before i sign up.

I'm a current dish customer and I'm thinking of going to direc. i just purchased a brand new HR21-100 for $115. i was wondering what are your opinions on this HDDVR. Also I'm thinking on waiting for a switch that direc is working on for single wire installations according to a CSR. Have any of you heard something on this? One more question, is it a problem that i don't have a land line? Thank you for your responses :)

I have both an HR20-700 and HR20-100. The only problem I have with the HR20-100 is that it seems to be built a bit more cheaply. It frequently vibrates, creating some sort of annoying rattle or hum. I fix the problem and a week later something else on it starts making noise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)