Optimum Voice: keeping number immediate?

r8d

Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
You have to pay $40 to keep your old number when signing up for VOIP service through C*. I have verizon currently. Will the number transfer be immediate or do they assign me a temporary number until it is switched? I forgot to ask them and don't feel like sitting on the phone for 30 minutes since I'm at work and in meetings all day. So, if anyone knows I would appreciate it. I couldn't find that info on their web site. Thanks.

When transferring a number from another company. Cablevision put in an order. On your connection date your prior phone company has to stop using that phone #. The # is basically sold to Cablevison. Basically to answer your question is immediate. The day the OV service is hooked up you will be using your carried over #.

Thanks for the quick response. I just remember when I originally inquired about VOIP from another company (over a year ago) they said there could be up to a 40 day wait.

When I placed my order for OV my appountment was 7 days later. I was with SBC and the next day the order was placed to port my # for the day of my appointment. I guess the wait can be different for everybody. Basically the day you get the service your ported # will work.

The number transition is immediate upon provisioning of the modem The reason for the 15+ day wait is to get a release date from the current carrier. A request from verizon can go trough in as little as 5 days if there are no issues. Other carriers such as Conversant, ATT and Frontier take up to 2 weeks.

Cablevision's official policy is to push all ported installs out at least 15 days to allow enough time for any carrier. There are a lot of instances where customers give us the wrong carrier, or they actually have a resold phone #.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts