Options for Streaming Cable TV?

Slickums

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Mexico
Hola to All,

I realize this is a 'satellite' forum, but perhaps I can get some alternatives here to my issue.

My dau in PA is moving into a new rental home. I live in Mexico and was looking for a way to access U.S. TV. My first thought was to set her up with a Dish Hopper w/Sling system.

However, the home owner forbids attaching a dish on the house, anywhere. My dau is checking if a ground installation is workable, but I am going to assume it isn't for other idiot reasons such as issues with getting the cable from the dish into the house; the usual anti-dish crapola...

Anyway, if all she can get is cable, what are the best options for us?

Tivo plus a Slingbox?
The new Comcast X1 (really bad press on this device!) plus Slingbox?
Other DVR and/or Slingbox approach?

I really like the Hopper+Sling thing, as the pricing is great at the moment! But having been through the "no dishes allowed" wars with landlords and home owners associations, I can see that being an uphill battle, even if the FCC rules help out a bit.

My dau is not a tech guru, but is savvy enough to hook up a customized system with my (remote) help. However, the home media server thing is a little more than I want her to have to deal with, so looking for some combination of off-the-shelf hardware that will let both of us enjoy TV.

Thanks for any advice!:cool:

Monty

Last edited:
Thanks. Am familiar these and they don't help my dau and are way, way to expensive if they did. I am going to pay for the service my dau gets. This gets her TV and for some reasonable amount extra, I can get the same service. Again, thanks.

It's been a long time since I used a slingbox/hava, back then you only could connect via composite video (Yellow RCA connection) with stereo (Red/White RCA connection) . I had a 5M/.8M internet connection and the quality was very poor. So if you plan on a slingbox, your dau needs a good upload speed internet service.

Has USTVnow's streaming quality improved? It was quite choppy last time I used it.

I tried it several months ago, just the free channels, but haven't tried it since then. The quality was not that great (VHS quality and soft), but no choppiness via the roku (15M/1M).

Think how great it would be if Dish came out with a wireless from the dish to the STB setup. Still need an outside outlet, I guess. But wireless power transmission is making strides, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts