Orbitron 10ft Teardown

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Anyone have advice on taking an Orbitron apart? I am finally hoping to ask the homeowner now that the virus is slowing down in my area. It looks like it is in great shape.

Attachments

• orb10 1.jpg
    orb10 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 318
  • orb10 2.jpg
    orb10 2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 291
  • orb10 3.jpg
    orb10 3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 363
  • orb10 4.jpg
    orb10 4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 293
Id bet the reflector will move without taking it apart, and it wont be that heavy. I'd go put some PB Blaster on all the bolts a couple days before I get the dish, or I'd plan to bring big breaker bars and break some bolts off. The mount will be heavier, and you can take it apart some after you get the dish off the mount. Take the feed off and the feed arms too before you do anything else. label everything. Masking tape and a sharpie are your friends.Measue the focal length too before you take it all down. Take pictures. Plan on it taking much longer than you think. LOL

Take a LOT of close up pictures, every part that gets pulled apart, you will not regret taking them.

I moved a 10' dish once in once piece like 25 years ago about 20 miles fun stuff "when I wore a younger man's clothes" Billy Joel

Good luck

We dropped one in about 30 minutes a few years ago with just basic hand tools and a electric screw driver. It's still sitting in my backyard. Someday I will put it up!

There are many examples of dish recovery on the forum. A couple examples of the last two I recovered.

Reactions: KE4EST
The orbitron is not a hard dish to take apart start by removing the actuator arm, and then remove the quad legs and RG6 wire, next the center cap holds the whole dish together remove that, and slide out the screens, and remove the ribs and the dish is torn down.

Removing the screens usually results in a nightmare for reassembly. I concur with the above suggestions to transport in one piece. DO NOT break it apart unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I have hauled many assembled10 foot reflectors on a trailer or inside a cube truck.

Reactions: phlatwound

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)