Orby does it make sense

If Orby lacks a viewer's "must have" channels it loses many, including me. 12 channels I care about for $50 a month and missing what I want, no thanks.

Also, why have a nice big screen UHD TV if you are going to see mostly SD content?
What UHD channels does dish broadcast via satellite?

Sent from our Pleadian star ship

What UHD channels does dish broadcast via satellite?

The point mostly is hell if I am going to pay for all SD content with an expensive large screen TV. Further, a good UHD TV that upconvets well (such as Samsung and Sony, other probably also) does enhance HD some. Then on top of that not have a couple of the most watched channels.
They are a start up and if they survive have time to catch up for sure. And having choices certainly is good. But I'm not going backwards. And purchasing equipment for an unknown life span from a company doesn't sound so good.

20 of the 46 channels in by basic $40 package are HD, 12 are so close that it really is hard to tell with the HEVC and the rest are and look SD. N6BY, to see what we mean about the HEVC, you are welcome to see Orby in operation at my office (so the blind man can describe the elephant better...) LOL!

Reactions: truckracer and N6BY
I have Orby TV. I'm very happy with the picture quality. I have a 55inch uhd. And it's way better than an HD TV. Even on HD TV programming.

I can tell you the picture quality is very nice. On most of the better channels.

I have laserdisc. Not even HD. I have a screen out back. 320 inches. On an professional projector And I can tell you. If a laserdisc can look good. I can tell you Orby will be fine..

I don't know if you have noticed. But I'm not sure how much is HD on the normal.

But I can tell you. I have c band also. And I will tell you this. What we get. The master feeds.
The free previews. And I can tell you. The HD quality on c band. Is so good.
If direct TV uncompressed it. They could lie and say its 4k.

I can tell you last time I used direct TV. The only time HD looked really good. Was on pay-per-view.

Otherwise. Orby has them beat.

I like it too. Because it is compatible with my c band equipment. So I can grab a box and move it to any room in my house.

My powered switch is setup
13/18. C band
22k. 13/18. Ku band
I can use both on my fta receiver

But here's a clue about the generation coming up. How would they know quality. When they look at a phone all day.
And listen to mp3s.

20 of the 46 channels in by basic $40 package are HD, 12 are so close that it really is hard to tell with the HEVC and the rest are and look SD. ...
Yes, HEVC compression is very good and the picture quality is probably indistinguishable from the original source. But are those 12 channels 16x9 or 4x3 aspect ratio?
Trust me, I would love to ditch my cable company (Consolidated Communications). Their pricing is confusing and the bill reads like a phone book. I called today to try to get my bill lower but she said she couldn't do much more than drop it by a few dollars. :sobstory

If Orby had a-la-carte extra packages that included the channels I want then I would be happy to try their service.

I am very happy with orby. I think they have a good thing going. Hopefully it will be around for years to come. I was a dish customer for many years. I like MTV classic. I had to buy the top 250 to get it.
So.....that was one winning point.
The price is right. Common cheap free to air ku dish and 10.00 lnbf gets the job done.
No proprietary dishes, switches or lnbfs like dish and DirecTV.

I am watching orby reliably on a 76cm dish and cheapo lnbf. You cannot go wrong with that.

I find it curious that posters suggest that the Orby start-up should emulate the failing subscription models. I find it refreshing that Orby is offering a pay-as-you-go model and are not being sucked into carrying the high cost bundles or over-priced sports packages. Proof will be in the pudding if they have chosen the right balance for their target customer base.

Maybe someday the content providers will catch on that the reason that they are bleeding to death is that they shot themselves in the foot! :eeek

'Failing subscription models' :p:p

Dish and DirecTV each have millions and millions of customers and make hundreds of millions of dollars in profits every quarter. Pretty far from failing.

Even though Orby refuses to release sub numbers I'd bet it's no more than a few thousand at most.

'Bleeding to death'? :p:p

Reactions: Redbullsnation
I have been to a few Best Buys in the area and they say Orby is selling rather well lately.

As far as the PQ goes... got to admit it is hard to tell which is True HD and what is not. The channels they are sending are all from HD sources just the resolution on some is slightly lower.

Quite honestly unless you are really really looking its hard to tell which ones are had and which ones are not.

'Failing subscription models' :p:p

Dish and DirecTV each have millions and millions of customers and make hundreds of millions of dollars in profits every quarter. Pretty far from failing.
While it is true both have millions of current subs, both also have millions less than they did a few years ago, and the losses keep mounting on a sub count basis. It could easily be argued that this is not sustainable, and the business model is a failing one.

While it is true both have millions of current subs, both also have millions less than they did a few years ago, and the losses keep mounting on a sub count basis. It could easily be argued that this is not sustainable, and the business model is a failing one.

The losses are leveling off and the profits are still sky high. Yes, the customer bases will be smaller but there are still millions and millions of people across the country who depend on satellite to get their TV and that isn't going to change for a long time to come.

Reactions: truckracer
JSheridan you have missed the quarterly headlines for the past years... bloated subscription models and overpriced content providers are losing hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

Suppose that you will next assert that these ex subscribers just quit watching TV... LOL!!!

Orby agrees, satellite subscription will be around for a long time to come.

Reactions: truckracer
JSheridan you have missed the quarterly headlines for the past years... bloated subscription models and overpriced content providers are losing hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

Suppose that you will next assert that these ex subscribers just quit watching TV... LOL!!!

Even after all the defections to streaming the numbers of subscribers for Dish and DirecTV are still in the tens of millions and will probably remain so for many years to come. That's a far cry from dying. They still make hundreds of millions of dollars of profit per quarter.

How many subscribers does Orby have? Maybe a few thousand at best? Compared to real satellite TV Orby isn't a serious competitor at all.

I have to agree Orby isn't a competitor at least so far.
Also went by other posts and did not check for myself as I usually do. I was incorrect to say all their channels are SD. Obviously they have many in HD also. And I will defer to Scott if he says the PQ is very close on the SD channels. I know that can be true, we have one or two OTA sub channels that sometimes are close to looking more than 480I especially on our smaller - large screen TV.

I have to agree Orby isn't a competitor at least so far.
Also went by other posts and did not check for myself as I usually do. I was incorrect to say all their channels are SD. Obviously they have many in HD also. And I will defer to Scott if he says the PQ is very close on the SD channels. I know that can be true, we have one or two OTA sub channels that sometimes are close to looking more than 480I especially on our smaller - large screen TV.

I can't see where Orby will ever be a real competitor. They have a few channels on 2 transponders. They don't have locals. You have to pay for the equipment and installation. The DVR is substandard to say the least. Even if they happen to have the channels that you want it's not really such a good deal if you compare it to the free Dish equipment and installation and the Flex pak and other offerings. The only advantage that they have is that you don't have to credit qualify and that 'advantage' will not attract very desirable customers for them.

I've played with their system and run all the numbers and I just can't see where they're better than real satellite TV. They kind of remind me of that Rainier satellite guy who was selling those few C Band channels and a D9865 receiver. Another :p.

Well I'm pretty sure that all those millions who left Dish and DirecTV didn't go to Orby. :p

Well I'm pretty sure that all those millions who left Dish and DirecTV didn't go to Orby. :p

So then, why are millions are leaving? Channel bloat, multi-year contracts and exorbitant cost come to mind...

Orby is only one of the many alternative content providers to benefit from the exodus of traditional satellite and cable subscription models. To think that the these business models are thriving is to bury your head in the sand... Better read www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/4420847/ again. Never suggested that the satellite providers were dying, only failing.

In the spirit of this being an Orby SUPPORT forum, I will once again emphasize that as a 10 month veteran subscriber, I am very satisfied with the level customer support provided by a US based call center, the channel package, month to month subscription and cost vs value. It is a good fit for me, and I am OK if it isn't for you...

I've played with their system and run all the numbers and I just can't see where they're better than real satellite TV. They kind of remind me of that Rainier satellite guy who was selling those few C Band channels and a D9865 receiver. Another :p.
Well at least these guys have real channels, the Rannier service the only channel I heard of was the NFL network. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)