Ordered a Vudu box from Bestbuy

Yeah, its a funny remote. First day I hated it, but once you get used to how to use it, its not so bad. I like the wheel and click, but it should be better laid out. Also, being its for MOVIES, it should be backlit :)

Just watched CETK HDX and The Fast and the Furious HDX, looked very good.

remote ordering works very well. I was browsing at work yesterday morning, decided to login and order Red Belt HDX. When I got home, it was fully downloaded and ready to go. This will work well for me the days movies are released for rent, whether Im at work or travelling I can get them started downloading.

With this feature, I dont see why anyone would care about watch now HD and SD.

Hopefully theyll ad a netflix stye queue or a preorder system thatll charge you and auto download the movie when it comes up for rent.

Right now, Im just checking every couple of days for new release dates on rentals and then stowing them in my Wishlist. Not bad, but not as good a queue. For now, Im back to keeping my upcoming movie list on an excel spreadsheet.

Seems they are keeping moving on their HDX promise for new releases. Both The Strangers and Hulk are now showing as HDX, release for rent in mid Nov.

Someone stated the new Indy movie was up on Appletv but D* PPV and Vudu have nothing about it. Reason Im surprised is because the media version has already been released.

I was wondering if it was just not available yet? Comments on the Vudu forums seem to assume they are selling well. Im liking the box, so I hope they do well.

Thinking I may pick up an AppleTv box after Christmas for TV shows. I've seen rumors of a redesign, but dunno if its true. Maybe theyll ad 1080p support, if they chose not too I cant take it seriously as a movie competitor.

Scratch that. Just did some more digging and Jobs stated that AppleTV will remain a "hobby" in 09 too. Think Ill just stick with my laptop to the Panny for tv shows.

Did some looking on Itunes, appears that Vudu are Apple are pretty much neck and neck for rental availability dates now. Itunes/AppleTv is better for TV shows by a long shot, but Vudu is much better in the movie department, especially since even the mid grade HD format from Vudu looks better than Apples HD. At its rate of weekly additions, Vudu should pass Apple Tv in the near future for total HD movie offerings.

I think if Apple would release a full 1080p version and encode high quality movies like Vudu's HDX, the box would be the VOD killer. Doesnt appear Apple is interested in that for some reason.

yeah, Apple always intrigues me. They get the chance to have a killer piece of hardware/application and they just can't grasp the opportunity. Maybe after R&D for new stuff, they under-fund product lifespan development. They just seem to want to bring out new stuff instead of using their current stuff to its limit.

Yeah. Look at the Iphone for example, several phones have now caught it or are close to catching it, but will be cheaper. I think they setup a pc of hardware to not be the best, but to draw you in and force you to be dependent on Apple for the media and other items (itunes). This is where they prob make more of their money.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/31...might-be-next/

I agree about the 30 day window. Its not a big issue once you let yourself get a month behind on releases. If all studios lift it (WB gives VOD on same day), itll make it interesting.

For the fourth week in a row, Vudu leaves the flood gates open and continues adding HD movies to the its library in record numbers. Now with this week's additional 120 HD movies, it has replaced the Apple TV as the download service with the best selection of HD. According to Vudu, there are now 769 movies available (or coming in the next few weeks) compared to about 690 HD movies that are offered on the Apple TV. So at this rate, Vudu should also surpass Blu-ray's HD selection in about two weeks. Of course we are talking about quantity here, and not quality, which we're sure could be debated continuously. Unfortunately for movie fans, it's still not quite the ultimate solution, as there's no way to purchase movies in HD, rentals are still limited by 30 days and 24 hours, and worst of all, there is still about a 30 day window between when the latest movies are released on disc and when they show up on download services. But this does make us wonder what would happen if Hollywood eliminated the artificial differences between downloads and discs.

Vudu added The Strangers a week or so ago, then added the HDX version and then a SD Unrated version.

I assumed they had one in HDX and offer the Unrated in SD and HD or something. They now have both The Strangers in HDX and the Strangers Unrated in HDX. This is great IMHO, means we could see directors cut versions in the HDX format and not only the standard movie.

Im very surprised they are going to have two of the same movie in HDX, but it bodes well for the people that want it.

Elway,

Since I am probably about to get banned over at AVSforum (I see my last 4 posts have been deleted in the vudu forums). If vudupatrick ever responds, can you please post any pertinent info here.

ah, thats good, I guess I really did mean just a vacation, not really a ban.

Pm'd the mod about it and they told me I attacked the Almostinsane guy, not really sure I did, but powers that be say I did so it must be true :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)