Orthomode Voltage Injection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I just installed a orthomode feed on my 8ft dish yesterday. To get started I connected the lnb's to a two port input Zinwell switch with no voltage mod yet. It seems to work ok as is. Has anyone done any measurements that show 18v. is better than 13? How about going all the way to 24v. since my lnb's are rated at 15-24v.

It probably depends on the LNBs. I've tested Norsat 8xxx LNBs from 13 to 21V. There was a small improvement in CNR and a reduction in large signal compression up to around 18V. I didn't see much if any improvement past that point, so I decided to use 18V as that is also very convenient.

My two 8115's are running good right now off of an unmodified WNC switch. It is not the SWA-48, it is the other model that replaced it, because the amazon seller sent the wrong switch. I have a SWA-48 to modify but I have not done so yet. I might mod it and see what kind of performance it gives.

I have both, modded and unmodded, and do not notice a bit of difference. I even have a PASSIVE multiswitch on a C-band Ortho and that works fabulously, also.

I am in the same boat, i am using Norsat 8115's Orthomode unmodded switch. My signal went from mid 70's under single c/ku to upper 80's and on X4 i am maxed out 99 using orthomode

i used to run vertical at 13v. since i got a signal i thought good enuff. i was recabling a bit and finally gave vertical 18v. before the voltage increase i had all kinds of problems with the s2 cw's at 72. now they lock easy and stay locked. just 2 more cents to ponder.

crackt out,.

I have both, modded and unmodded, and do not notice a bit of difference. I even have a PASSIVE multiswitch on a C-band Ortho and that works fabulously, also.
DMSI LNBs? WSI LNBs? Unbranded from ImpaktProducts?

i used to run vertical at 13v. since i got a signal i thought good enuff. i was recabling a bit and finally gave vertical 18v. before the voltage increase i had all kinds of problems with the s2 cw's at 72. now they lock easy and stay locked. just 2 more cents to ponder.
Then, it's your LNB types we should watch out for.
What 'cha got, there?
Also, how long a cable run?

I am going to modify the SWA 48 switch that I have per the instructions on the site here. I am doing fine on an unmodded switch, but I just wonder what the results will be with a full 18v to both LNBs.

I am going to modify the SWA 48 switch that I have per the instructions on the site here. I am doing fine on an unmodded switch, but I just wonder what the results will be with a full 18v to both LNBs.
Never know 'til you try ! :) I may switch from my powered switch to a non-powered switch just to see if it'll work ! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)