mande

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
WI USA
:confused:
Is the •Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 3.5" Internal Drive drive the
Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS 500 GB - Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 16MB Internal Hard Drive - OEM/Bare or the

</SPAN><H1 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB Internal - Retail- ST3500641AS-RK

Seagate 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 500GB, SATA, 7200RPM, 3 Gb/s, NCQ - Internal Hard Drive

Also is the CoolMax Enclosure - HD-389-U2(sata) only enclosure for it? I do not know much about electronics.

Mande

</H1>

Both Seagate drives are from the same model series and the differences appear to be just a different batch of drives and packaging. As these are bare drives meant to be mounted inside of a computer or a case, you will need an enclosure with appropriate USB 2.0 controller and cable connection. The CoolMax is an example of an external enclosure case to place the bare hard drive into.

Building the external drive from the components should take only a few minutes and only requires a small phillips tip screwdriver. While you may be interested in building your own external drive, if you are unsure of your abilities for this simple project you might consider buying a factory built external USB 2.0 drive such as the SimpleTech.

The Seagate Barracuda was the only one I was able to find on the internet. Also, I hooked up a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Go which I received for Christmas. About 1/2 the programs it records give me a message (wrong file). Does that mean it is not compatable with the receiver or is there another problem? Would the Simple Tech be better than one of the Seagate Barracudas? If so where can I get one? My husband would be able to put the Seagate Barracuda together for me-I just think the coolmax case is ugly but my husband said he could paint it for me. I just want one that works since the one I got with my system is so small. Thanks
mande

Hi again,
I didn't want to add any more to the previous reply but sometimes I have a problem with the WD 15GB that came with my system.
Once in a while, I try to replay something that's been recorded and it doesn't start but goes right back to what's playing on the receiver. It doesn't happen very often but any ideas why that happens? Thanks
mande

The Seagate Barracuda was the only one I was able to find on the internet. Also, I hooked up a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Go which I received for Christmas. About 1/2 the programs it records give me a message (wrong file). Does that mean it is not compatable with the receiver or is there another problem?
If the drive was properly formatted as FAT32 and also formatted by the receiver before recording and you are receiving these error messages, then the drive is not compatible.

Would the Simple Tech be better than one of the Seagate Barracudas? If so where can I get one?
Not necessarily better, but both have been tested and verified to be working. Here is the link from the above sticky thread which displays Google shopping results for the SimpleTech drive: http://www.google.com/products?q=Simpletech+500GB+-+S500U&oe=utf-8&hl=en&scoring=p

My husband would be able to put the Seagate Barracuda together for me-I just think the coolmax case is ugly but my husband said he could paint it for me. I just want one that works since the one I got with my system is so small.
Hard drives do not ned to be placed in a visible location. I place mine on the shelf behind the DVR and you wouldn't even know it was there. The CoolMax case is just and example of a simple, no frills enclosure that we purchased and verified. I have assembled several dozen external 500GB hard drives from other case manufacturers with basic function and no automatic back-up features and have yet to have a single compatibility issue. You might find another brand or model USB 2.0, Sata drive enclosure with no bells and whistles features that is more visually attractive for your project.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Simpletech+500GB+-+S500U&oe=utf-8&hl=en&scoring=p

Hi again,
I didn't want to add any more to the previous reply but sometimes I have a problem with the WD 15GB that came with my system.
Once in a while, I try to replay something that's been recorded and it doesn't start but goes right back to what's playing on the receiver. It doesn't happen very often but any ideas why that happens? Thanks
mande

Is the drive near the 15GB capacity? Not sure what could cause this. We have not experienced this issue during testing.

I hooked up a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Go which I received for Christmas. About 1/2 the programs it records give me a message (wrong file). Does that mean it is not compatable with the receiver or is there another problem?
Answer from Glorystar 1: If the drive was properly formatted as FAT32 and also formatted by the receiver before recording and you are receiving these error messages, then the drive is not compatible.

I formatted it with the receiver. Should I have formatted it with the Swissknifeapp first? I downloaded into my computer but didn't use it as it formatted with the receiver. Also, as I said, 1/2 or more of the recordings gave a wrong file message but the rest played fine. Thanks again
mande

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mande
Hi again,
mande
answer:Is the drive near the 15GB capacity? Not sure what could cause this. We have not experienced this issue during testing
It would happen even when it was almost empty. ANother thing , sometimes I would get a 9USB is full0 message while recording. It appened the first time when it didn't have hardly anything on it so I emptied it and formatted it. It was alright for awhile and then it happened again. After the third time, I've started emptying it and formatting it just about daily. So far I haven't had another incident. Does it hurt to format it daily?
thanks
mande

HI again
I was going to try formatting with Swissknife but when I tried to open it, I get a message to go to compuapps to get a license but I click on it and nothing happens. Are there any formatting software that are free or how do I get Swissknife and how do I use it
mande

It would happen even when it was almost empty. ANother thing , sometimes I would get a 9USB is full0 message while recording. It appened the first time when it didn't have hardly anything on it so I emptied it and formatted it. It was alright for awhile and then it happened again. After the third time, I've started emptying it and formatting it just about daily. So far I haven't had another incident. Does it hurt to format it daily?

Unnecessary, but no harm to format regularly.

I was going to try formatting with Swissknife but when I tried to open it, I get a message to go to compuapps to get a license but I click on it and nothing happens. Are there any formatting software that are free or how do I get Swissknife and how do I use it

You may have downloaded a paid version of Swiss Knife. V3 is free.

The stickies at the top of the Glorystar forum have many great threads that answer many of your questions and links to hard drives and software. Please review this thread for links to download the free version of SwissKnife and how to format. http://www.satelliteguys.us/glorystar-support-forum/233711-how-format-drive-fat32-swissknife-v3.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)