OTA Adapter

Hey, Been looking this over for a while and got a 30 buck credit to get a OTA dongle today, So Now I am trying get something that will last the limit. I know there are 3 Dish units on the market, the old Hauppauge BBQ units, the newer Black squares that have an Airtv clone, and a new unit that is slightly better than the Airtv/dish 2nd tier clone and has better electronics and heat dissipation.

My issue is that I know what the 2nd tier Air tv unit looks like, which is a black (dish) or white (airtv) square and has a USB tail made by Pace International model 601-001 listed here
Products | AirTV, but I don't know that the Hauppauge Unit or the new unit looks like.

So since I have an option to get this
Amazon product ASIN B087V5HJ6Z, for 19.95, I wanted to check and see is this the Old BBQ version or if its the newer slightly better 3rd gen unit.

I also have two other questions, If I used a powered amplified antenna from outside should I uses an inline TV Voltage blocking coupler like this one?
Amazon product ASIN B0002ZPIN2
And lastly, Should I do a jump in tech levels and look for something that is ATSC 3.0 compliant and manufacturers/dish network even have something that will work with that standard and the hopper 3 receivers?

I am not aware of this new Dish unit that is slightly better than the AirTV/Dish 2nd tier clone. Where did you hear about it, what does it look like, when was it introduced? Because this is the first I have heard of it.

AFAIK the first Dish dual tuner unit is distinguished from the newer Dish/AirTV dual tuner by having a removable usb cable (the AirTV/Dish version does not have a detachable usb cable). I have 2 of the older Dish network single tuner usb units and if I remember correctly, they worked OK but that's another story.

and the AirTV one is a bunch cheaper than the Dish one. That "some say" is in fact, Scott, our illustrious leader.

It's better than the original dual tuner OTA adapter from Dish but it's not better than the current dual tuner adapter from Dish. In fact some say it's the same guts in a different package.

Ah, figured it out, the reply button is the proper command, Not quote sorry.

Also are you saying the vented one from amazon is the Single receiver and not the Dual receiver dongle?

Reactions: charlesrshell
The vented one is a single tuner version..They don't make a dual receiver dongle.. The dual tuner is only for one receiver and allows you to record a OTA channel while watching another..I wouldn't buy anything dish related from Amazon..if you're not buying from Airtv I would at least get one from ebay.. Amazon is way overpriced on all dish equipment

I misspoke, I meant dual-turner dongle, not receiver dongle. That at least answers my question. If I miss understood the first page of this thread and there is no better version, then the Airtv unit is likely my best bet correct?

So all I need to know now is do I need a voltage blocker if I use an outdoor amplified antenna and do have a unit that is ATSC 3.0 compliant out there?

Reactions: Tvland1
So all I need to know now is do I need a voltage blocker if I use an outdoor amplified antenna and do have a unit that is ATSC 3.0 compliant out there?
No your not going to need a voltage blocker..The voltage is going to the pre-amp not return on the signal side.As far as ATSC 3.0 that's a ways off and there's nothing out there for dish yet

Reactions: charlesrshell
No I was not aware of that. And yes I was going to get a unit for 19 bucks, off ebay but it sold while I was doing research. I'll just get the airtv version tomorrow and pick up a powered antenna from woot. They have a decent looking unit for 18 bucks today.

I have a unused 2nd coax line running out from my old deduct 700 model receiver set up to the second floor, which was not needed for the hopper. it should be nothing to install a outdoor antenna onto it

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)