OTA Amplifier Suggestions

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
I have finally mounted the largest VHF antenna that will fit in my attic and as high up as I can get it. I'm able to get everything ITC except for the target, the ever elusive KCWY13 in Casper, WY. I can see the transmitter antenna with a direct LOS. Problem is the power output is so low and directional, I'm barely able to pick up the back side lobe of the signal.

To compound the problem, I also know that the AGC on the amplifier is pretty lame. The signal strength varies from 20+ to 65+ on my HDTV signal strength meter.

So the question I have is will any antenna amplifier help push the low end signal up high enough to keep the signal above the digital clip?

My cable is only about 20 feet long between the antenna and TV. So, what if anything, will push the signal from the 20s up to the 60s and keep it there?

A lack of interference. When you are as close as your problem description sounds it isn't lack of signal but too much signal. You are getting reflected signals that are blocking the needed digital information. If you can see the broadcast tower rabbit ears are probably all you need.

well the transmitter is only 3000 watts and as he noted he is on the backside of the directional antenna. So how the heck can he have too much signal?

how big of an antenna is it fizbi? I assume you've tried to change the aiming to see maybe if that helps?

Looking at the TVFool.com Map Plot, there are very few spots south of KCWY that are LOS, so You are fortunate there.

Having the antenna in your attic just about cuts the signal in half again, so you are double handicapped. Can you mount it on the roof or eve?

How far are you from the transmitter?

There are areas SW of the transmitter that are LOS 50+ miles away.

well the transmitter is only 3000 watts and as he noted he is on the backside of the directional antenna. So how the heck can he have too much signal?

how big of an antenna is it fizbi? I assume you've tried to change the aiming to see maybe if that helps?

Iceberg is correct, the transmitter puts out very little power. After talking to several folks in Casper, I learned that a great many viewers have much difficulty in getting the signal.

The antenna I installed is the Radio Shack Antennacraft® HD1800 Heavy-Duty VHF/UHF/FM Antenna.

My house has vinyl siding and there is no metal, trees, or buildings between my house and the tower.

One thing I did notice was that of several 75 Ohm to 300 Ohm cable adapters I tried, one seemed to work better than the others for reducing signal loss.

I may try hard wiring the cable to the antenna to see if it gets better.

I assume you've tried to change the aiming to see maybe if that helps?

Yes I have. I've tried ever so slight changes in bearing, and azimuth. I'm pretty sure I have it optimized for what I can get. When I do get the signal, it looks terrific. When the level drops, it looks pretty chopped up or black.

Looking at the TVFool.com Map Plot, there are very few spots south of KCWY that are LOS, so You are fortunate there.

Having the antenna in your attic just about cuts the signal in half again, so you are double handicapped. Can you mount it on the roof or eve?

How far are you from the transmitter?

There are areas SW of the transmitter that are LOS 50+ miles away.

I can mount the antenna on the roof, but if I do that, the wind will destroy it.
I'm about 10 miles SW of the transmitter.

The wind shouldn't be a problem with a well built antenna.In my opinion,antennacraft is some of your best antenna.
Maybe you should try a high band antenna without an amplifier. Your antenna provides for low band vhf signals that you will likely not even need.Try a seperate high band vhf and uhf antenna.Outside is your best bet.
Keep in mind,a combination antenna gives up loss somewhere because of it's design.Not so with sigle band antennas,or better yet,a sigle channel antenna for a specific highly desired channel.
Good luck

The wind shouldn't be a problem with a well built antenna.In my opinion,antennacraft is some of your best antenna.
Maybe you should try a high band antenna without an amplifier. Your antenna provides for low band vhf signals that you will likely not even need.Try a seperate high band vhf and uhf antenna.Outside is your best bet.
Keep in mind,a combination antenna gives up loss somewhere because of it's design.Not so with sigle band antennas,or better yet,a sigle channel antenna for a specific highly desired channel.
Good luck

It's a common site to see barns flipped over and roofs torn off once the wind get's going. Plus, mounting an antenna on my roof would require renting a cherry picker for the weekend. I'm looking for alternate solutions to the tried and true.

As for what band antenna to use, we have channels in both the upper and lower VHF band. Casper is still in the dark ages when it comes to technology. Radio Shack is my only friend when it comes to repairing electronics around here.

It looks like I'm just going to have to spend some R&D funds for a creative solution.

I can mount the antenna on the roof, but if I do that, the wind will destroy it.

Some antennas can survive wind storms. The Radio Shack VU-1XX series were widely sold and tended to fail with broken elements and insulators. They have since been discontinued.

The HD-1080 that you have has an odd characteristic in that the main lobe of the VHF pattern is opposite the main lobe of the UHF pattern. KCWY is on channel 12, so the HD-1080 isn't the best antenna for Casper, WY. Better choices are the HBU series from Antennacraft and the HD-769X-P series from Winegard.

Now that you already have a HD-1080, try a separate VHF antenna such as the Y10-7-13 along with a UVSJ to add them together.

As for what band antenna to use, we have channels in both the upper and lower VHF band. Casper is still in the dark ages when it comes to technology.

actually looking at the FCC logs you dont have any channels in the VHF Low Band (2-6). Most of those stations use UHF and they are remapped to their "normal" channel #

KTWO 2 is on RF17
KCWY 13 is on 12
WPBS 6 is on 8
KGWC 14 is on 14
KLWY 27 is on 20
CW26 is still analog on 26

so you have 2 on VHF Hi and the rest on UHF

Now that you already have a HD-1080, try a separate VHF antenna such as the Y10-7-13 along with a UVSJ to add them together.

Tower Guy,

I may give that a try. It's a reasonably priced antenna and may work as it could be mounted up higher in the attic. I'm trying to stay away from amplifiers if I can help it as the ghost load on my electric bill would not be desirable. There is one location way up in the attic that will get it up at least six feet higher.

Thanks for the suggestion. It may work.

actually looking at the FCC logs you dont have any channels in the VHF Low Band (2-6). Most of those stations use UHF and they are remapped to their "normal" channel #

KTWO 2 is on RF17
KCWY 13 is on 12
WPBS 6 is on 8
KGWC 14 is on 14
KLWY 27 is on 20
CW26 is still analog on 26

so you have 2 on VHF Hi and the rest on UHF

Yes, I could have looked at an old chart prior to purchasing my current antenna, or just missunderstood what I was looking at. It looks like I will have to try an upper band VHF antenna as suggested. I guess I could turn the current antenna into a lightning rod or something else usefull.

I get Wyoming PBS from two different locations (transmitters) on 4 channels.

I dragged a small portable analog TV into the attic with a DTV converter box to try some more fine tuning of the antenna. To my surprise, the converter box has no problem with the smaller signal. The main TV in the living room just can't work with the lesser signal. What's funny about all this is that all the other channels come in just fine with a coat hanger wire. So, I just need to find a way to boost KCWY13 (channel 12) so that the living room TV can lock onto it.

Am I having fun yet?

if you have a garage or storage building you could mount your antenna on that...i found around here higher is not better necessarily. just getting your antenna outside will help tremendously.

it sounds like the extra coax length getting downstairs is pushing the weak signal beyond the threshold for your living room tuner. guess you put a converter box in the attic, run RCA cables Audio/video out of the converter box and plug them into a modulator that is located in the attic and then combine the modulator output back into the coax using a splitter ran backward modulating kcwy on a differernt unused channel...hey its a hillbilly idea that would probably work.

Here's a modulator http://cgi.ebay.com/ISS-Engineering...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e2a86af6

All,

The new high band antenna came in today. I put it in the attic and got the same results.

So, I carted the whole mess outside and started over again. The new antenna is significantly smaller than the previous full band "Ice Station Zebra" sized array that blocked out half the sky. The new antenna has just a few elements and is a lot shorter. I put it on a small pole and walked around with it while I had my kids yell out signal strength numbers. Kids are good for that sort of thing. ;)

To my amazement, I locked KCWY13 in with a "72" on the signal meter, on a longer cable, and without a powered amplifier. I now have a sweet spot on the outer corner of my patio at about 20' above ground level. I think I'll anchor it there and call it good. Since the antenna is so much smaller, I'll take a chance with the high winds. It's in a spot that acts like a wind shadow so I think I'm safe. Time will tell.

Now I have the best of both worlds. All the local Casper channels plus all the channels I can get with my FTA Ku band receiver.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)