OTA and OTARD Questions...where to post?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

homeyg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
USA
I am looking for info/suggestions on ota antenna purchases. I plan to install an uhf/vhf/fm antenna in my attic and would like to receive stations near and far. I’m in SW Florida. I have FTA.

On another note—if installed outdoors with an FTA dish…how does it apply to the OTARD rules?

OTARD only specifically allows for one antenna (which includes dishes) according to the letter of the law. If you're already (fiercely) exercising your OTARD rights by having an FTA dish, you shouldn't erect a second antenna and expect it to go without contest. If you're just being paranoid, and nobody's ever said anything negative about your FTA dish, I say it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :)

sorry Bo but he can put up as many as he wants as long as they qualify. As long as the dish is under a meter and the antenna isnt higher than 12 feet above the roofline he is OK. You might want to read OTARD

Q: Can a restriction limit the number of antennas that may be installed at a particular location?
The Commission’s rule covers the antennas necessary to receive service.

Believe me...I am the president of the HOA and my neighbor (the former secretary) argued with me this summer when we got new roofs. She said I could only have one dish up and I gave her OTARD. She was going to have "her lawyer friend" prove me wrong. A month later after I put the 3 dishes and the antenna back up I saw her and said "so what did your lawyer friend say?" I guess since you didnt say anything before that OTARD covers me and all she said was "shut up"

no there is no rules on the amount of dishes/antennas you can put up as long as they qualify under OTARD. Now I know the antenna on my roof technically if they wanted to argue it I'd have to do some quick thinking as its a VHF only antenna designed for a "distant" (72 miles away) TV station (which OTARD does not cover). The other antenna is on the deck and is for Minneapolis. But technically it gets everything from Minneapolis too so I could say its that ;)

Oh then there is that 6 footer...but that is in my exclusive area so we havent had any issues with that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)