OTA antenna HDTV...need advice

NitrousGT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 61"HDTV with a built in HD tuner, I currecntly dont have any sort of satelllite or cable. I just want to get the basic cable at the moment. I am purchasing this antenna from RadioShack. Do you all have any recommendations on whatelse i would need or what cables to use, or is it just regular coax cable? Just want to get the best OTA HD channels possible. I am thinking of mounting it in the attic and run the wire down to the TV or mount it on the roof if its not too much trouble. I checked on antennaweb and the DC towers are about 30 miles away. Zipcode is 22025/22026

Here is the antenna...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=UHF+antenna&kw=uhf+antenna&parentPage=search

Thank You

-You spend a couple grand on a tv
-you want the best
-you are deciding to spend $24.99 on a radio shack uhf only antenna

The cm4228 antenna is preferred and worth the few extra dollars to purchase one....2 of the channels in dc are going to ch 7, ch 9 vhf in 2009 and the u75r woould not receive those.

The cm 4228 is popular in your area and you should not have a hard time finding one.

You would need rg6 solid copper coax and the proper coax fittings. Roof mount is preferred.

Installation does not have to be fancy. 3' tripod, 5' heavy duty mast , mount and antenna coax grounded...run the coax to the sets and you will be in business.

You made a sound decision on your tv, why not make a smart decision on your antenna system too.

Last edited:
would like to get you into something better then the radio shack brand if thats ok with you.

do you want uhf only for digital only or combination vhf/ uhf to get the dc vhf on your other non digital sets in your home till the transition in 2009?

Last edited:
Rick0725 said:
would like to get you into something better then the radio shack brand if thats ok with you.

do you want uhf only for digital only or combination vhf/ uhf to get the dc vhf on your other non digital sets in your home till the transition in 2009?

Theres nothing wrong with that radio shack UHF only antenna I am using that in my attic without a preamp. right now... works great. My digital stations are between 18 to 25 miles away. I am also able to receive analog station 10 and 13 without any snow whatsoever. So yes it can receive the high VHF stations...

Me I say since there is a Radio Shack everywhere and they have a decent return policy you might as well try it.

Since the mandatory digital only cutoff is about 2.5 years away I would not worry about those 2 high VHF stations yet. You never know that antenna just might pick them up.

BTW I have 5 friends using that so called "cheap" UHF only antenna with no problems.

Jerry

Thanks Rick and Jerry. RIck, where can i find those other antennas you are talking about, any links? Jerry, are you using a UHF only or a UHF/VHF? I just want the basic local channels in digital. Is there a drastic change in quality from having it in the attic or on the roof? the DC towers are 22-30miles away from where i live.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103084&cp

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=UHF+antenna&kw=uhf+antenna&parentPage=search

Which out of the two should I get?

NitrousGT said:
Thanks Rick and Jerry. RIck, where can i find those other antennas you are talking about, any links? Jerry, are you using a UHF only or a UHF/VHF? I just want the basic local channels in digital. Is there a drastic change in quality from having it in the attic or on the roof? the DC towers are 22-30miles away from where i live.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103084&cp

Which out of the two should I get?

I am using the UHF only right now... Supposedly WMC-DT will be going back to channel 5 in Feb 2009, but I won't worry about it till it happens. When it does the first thing I will try is to make my own dipole antenna cut for channel 5 using a UHF/VHF combiner. If that does not work I will try something else.

My motto with antenna's is go cheap at first and always buy from a merchant that has a good return policy.

You can try either antenna first... if it was me I would try the UHF antenna first. It is only $25, and if it gets all of the stations you want, you will get more than you moneys worth in 2.5 years.

Jerry

Yes, they are crystal clear as long as you are picking up the minimum signal necessary to view ANY picture, which is usually around 57%-60% signal strength on my DishHD 622 box. I'm currently using the Zenith Silver Sensor from Amazon for only $19.99 with the same TV you have and it works wonderfully. It is a small, unamplified indoor antenna and picks up ALL my NYC locals around 15 miles away without any problems. However, this may not work for you as you are 30 miles away.

I know my Silver Sensor has no luck with the local PBS affiliate in Long Island 40 miles away, so somewhere between 20 and 30 miles seems to be its limit. Keep in mind that this antenna is HIGHLY directional; if your stations are in different directions, forget about it. This thing can't pick up NJN TWO MILES away because it is north of me and it is pointed east (toward NYC)! Getting back to the signal strength, a signal strength of 60% has IDENTICAL picture quality as a signal strength of 100% IF the 60% signal is not breaking up. Most likely you will see a 100% clear digital/HD picture or no picture, because this "breaking-up/pixelation" range is very narrow - maybe between say 57%-60% signal strength.

NitrousGT said:
thanks for the links BSR. Do the channels come in very clear in HD?
IceMan5043 is correct. Also, since I live in Corpus Christi (The STYX) and have only 4 HD channels :( I have to try and get all the analog OTA channels as well. So I pick up about 17 OTA channels. Screw Cable :D :p

Cheers

Heres a pic of it :) Sorry about the overcast as it looks like we're going to have our first good rain after a long drought. :)

Attachments

• mysetup.JPG
    mysetup.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 239
bsr, cannot see the attachment, can you please resend or email to me.

Iceman, the Zenith Silver Sensor is the antenna that you use? you just plug it at the back of the TV where it says ANTENNA IN? is there anything else you hav eto do to the TV to pick up HD or does it senses it automatically and displays the HD channels? I actually purchased this http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=antenna&kw=antenna&parentPage=search
and i am installing it today in the evening. I am placing it in the attic and running the coax through the wall and down to the TV.

Update on Antenna Installation

I got this antenna http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=15-2151&kw=15-2151&parentPage=search
and i installed it in the attic. Luckily when i walked up in the attic, i noticed that direct tv have already installed satellite there so i just disconnected the coax and connected it to the antenna. On the box of the antenna above, it says for Green and Yellow areas, its a UHF/VHF/FM antenna. However, these are the channels that i got crystal clean....

YELLOW (UHF) ..WPXW 66.4 13MILES
YELLOW (UHF) ..wrc 4.1 27.2 MILES
RED (UHF) .. 5.1 28MILES
RED (UHF) WNVT 5.9MILES
BLUE (UHF) WUSA 9.1 27.9MILES
BLUE (UHF) WJLA 7.1 27.9MILES.

those are all the HD channels that i picked up. I did pick up some non HD channels, some came in clear, some didnt. I am satisfied with the results. However for my questions...

Is there anyway to improve channel 50 (WB) to come in HD?

If the antenna box said only for GREEN/YELLOW areas, why did i pick up the REDs and also why didnt WB channel 50 come in in HD, it came in as regular AIR and it was not very clear at all. It says i am 30.1 Miles away, however according to the antenna it should pick up UHF up to 50miles away.

I was going to purchase this http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=UHF+antenna&kw=uhf+antenna&parentPage=search UHF only antenna, and on the box it says it was cable of picking up GREEN/YELLOW/RED/BLUE but i wanted to get something with VHF also and the guy at radioshack told me the get the first one. my other question is, why did this one have more color codes than the one i purchased? is it because it catches VHF also?

Do you think i should purchase the UHF only and test it, will it generally make a big difference, or should i just stick with what i have?

By installing the antenna in the attic you have cut the available signal at least in half maybe more.

AS for WB 50 - if they are broadcasting HD and you get a picture, you will get the HD picture. Even a weak signal, if there is enough data there to assemble a picture it would be HD. It sounds like they don't do HD. I just looked WDCW-50 up on TVRadioWorld.com. Their digital broadcast is on channel 51 at 125kW. It looks like their Class A service area is about 50 miles radius, so with a CM4228 on the roof you should get them easily.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts