OTA antenna hook-up on HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Voomer55

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I am currently a Voom customer and have decided to go with D. I have purchased the HD DVR and triple LNB dish and will be installing it tomorrow.(Thanks Value Electronics for your quick shipment and best price!). I plan to use the Voom OTA antenna because I get all my locals without any problems. On my Voom set-up the OTA cable and satellite cable are are routed into a Winegard Satelite off-air combiner so I have one cable going into the Voom STB diplexer. On the D HD DVR, there is a separate hook-up for the OTA. My question is... do I need to run a separate cable for the OTA antenna or can I use the same set up? The V STB has the diplexer mounted on the back so I doubt I can use it but can I buy a diplexer from Radio Shack and still use the same set up? Is it best to run a separate cable anyway? Lastly, I have found out the some of the OTA antennas supplied by V get their power from the diplexer. If I buy a diplexer, will have to also purchase a power inserter? Does the D HD DVR have a power supply built in for the OTA antenna? Any help would be much appreciated.

You might just want to run the extra line(s)

If there is only one coax cable coming through the wall now, you're going to have to add another for the 2nd DVR tuner anyway, so I would recommend running 2 additional lines, unless you know that the voom OTA really needs that diplexer for some reason (i.e. power).

Thanks cr0mag. I will go ahead and run 2 additional lines and see what happens. I will probably add a power inserter into the OTA cable as I don't think it could cause any harm.

np.... glad I could help. Sorry to hear about vo0m's downfall... If they had made it a couple more months, I'd have been asking you how to install their gear! :)

Voom was great while it lasted. I feel like I am taking a giant leap backward as far as HD content is concerned but at least D is talking HD more and more...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)