OTA antenna install help.

bdresch

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
WI
I am planning on installing an OTA antenna along with my Dish 622 that I already have. I was going to put the antenna in the attic and hopefully not have to add an additional cable. In the attic I have access to the line going from my 622 to the TV2 so I was hoping I could diplex into that line and split it back out at the 622. I only need to be able to see the antenna with the 622, I don't care to have it shown on TV2. Would it work how I have this drawn up? (blue is my existing setup, red is my proposed addition of the antenna). Is there any other way I could do this without dropping another cable to the 622?
dish.jpg

Will not work, TV 2 signal will hurt OTA signal,diplexers will reduce signal,antenna in attic will also hurt signal
PUT antenna outside, run cable from antenna to 622, no junk in line to reduce signal

The new line should have splitters not diplexers. You're not combining a satellite and TV signal, you're combining two tv signals. Since you'll be splitting the signal so many times you might need a pre-amp at the antenna and you might have to turn it off when you want to watch satellite on TV-2. Hook it up and see what happens.

Will not work, TV 2 signal will hurt OTA signal,diplexers will reduce signal,antenna in attic will also hurt signal
PUT antenna outside, run cable from antenna to 622, no junk in line to reduce signal

I understand the OTA signal will be degrades from the attic and the splitters, but I am in a location where a small multidirectional would work so I figure a medium directional with all the loses of being in my attic should probably equate to what I would get with the small multidirectional. I just don't want an antenna in my livingroom. If I have to I can put the antenna on my roof, but I would prefer to not have to look at it.

All this might be a moot point though since Dish just screwed my on not giving me Nick with Turbo Silver. So I may be on later asking how to wire an OTA antenna into a Direct system.

doh! didn't see the diagram calling for new diplexers. yeah, needs to be 2 way splitters. approx signal loss from each splitter is ~3.5db and probably another 3 or so from the diplexers. just make sure signal is clean and prepare to pre-amp the antenna. done this type of config numerous times.

doh! didn't see the diagram calling for new diplexers. yeah, needs to be 2 way splitters. approx signal loss from each splitter is ~3.5db and probably another 3 or so from the diplexers. just make sure signal is clean and prepare to pre-amp the antenna. done this type of config numerous times.

I bought a directional antenna with a built in 10 db booster from the shack. It is great for attic's (not great for outside, because it doesn't handle wind well). I mounted it (with a long run of RG6 to my wiring closet, because I wanted it in an easy to get to attic location). My closest signal is 31 miles (VHF/Chanel 8 22KW and Chanel 11 (same tower 12.5 KW). I get 99-100 signal on them. UHF in opposite direction (Chanel 26 (1 Megawatt)). Get it at 100. It is split 3 times. Once in my closet and once behind each tv (to give OTA to 722 AND TV). Dropped my weakest signal to 85. The rest are still 99. I never see problems. You should be okay. I have not done the backfeed yet, but do not anticipate any problems with your setup.

Dish Home Protection Plan Questions

FSN Midwest not in HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)