OTA Antenna Question

SoxFan34

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Here are my stats from antenna web:

I am less than 10 miles from all of the major local station providers... two of the providers are coded yellow, one is coded red and the other two are coded green.

Also... all of the stations are located within 10 degrees of one another.

I am trying to get the best signal I can with an indoor antenna or an outdoor antenna located in my attic.

What is the best route to take? Any suggestions on the model/type of antenna I should buy?

Thanks in advance.

By the way... I'm loving Dish! Thanks for all of the help/suggestions in getting it setup. So far, I have only experienced fade in a major thunderstorm where most people were losing power anyway.

I would suggest a directional 4-bay antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4, Winegard PR4400, or Channel Master 4221. If you have VHF channels you want that are in the 7-13 range, the CM 4221 is the best choice. These would be attic installs, although the DB4, or less powerful DB2 is attractive enough for indoor use. Use a compass and the directions posted on antennaweb.org to aim the antenna. Good luck!

The following are the frequency assignments for the various stations I am trying to get:

Fox: 50
CBS: 46
PBS: 5
NBC: 2
ABC: 22

...based on this information, any of the three antennas you suggested should work - right?

Thanks,

Go back to antennaweb.org and on the results page, click the "Show digital stations only" and then re-post the channel #s (if different). I'm guessing you're including analog channels too, which are typically VHF.

Channel numbers are as follows:

Fox: 50.1
CBS: 6.1
PBS: 5
NBC: 40.1
ABC: 27.1

All of these are digital channels.

Based on this... please confirm that any of the above-referenced antennae would work.
Thanks again. I'm continually amazed at the well-informed/helpful members of this site.

Last edited:
the antenna mentioned are UHF antennas. You ahve two fairly low band VHF channels in th mix. i would suggest another antenna designed to receive both UHF and VHF.

What I'd suggest is go to Wal-Mart (or whatever your favorite big box store with a TV department is) and pick up a cheap $10-$20 indoor UHF antenna.

Beware that you do NOT have to buy an antenna called an "HDTV antenna". These are not different from a UHF antenna. Same signals and frequencies.

Then try it. If it doesn't work, you can return it and try something more expensive.

I am about 10 miles from my TV antenna farm and the cheap indoor antenna works pretty good for me.

MyDogHasFleas,

I've got an el cheapo right now... it works fine at night, but during the day, 3 of the 4 channels shown above are choppy and experience what I can only describe as lag.

Again if the channels are really on VHF---and that low most UHF antenna will not do well. You do not necessarily needan expensive antenna but whatever you buy should receive VHF well.

that will only pick up UHF. In another thread he mentioned living near the Georia/FL line At least one of the stations he wants is VHF digital---but I am not sure that it is even broadcasting in digital from ch 5 yet. . there is noway that antenna will receive that.

The PBS he wants is on 5. the NBC may actually broadcast digitally on Ch.2. there is no way that these UHF antennas will work if that is the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts