OTA Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

banoonish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Fort Payne, AL
I am scheduled for Voom to be installed on 4/3/04. I called Installs Inc. and got the name of my local installer. I call the local installer and asked about the OTA Antenna and he told me that it would not work for me as I live 65 miles from my nearest locals. I asked about an upgrade for a better antenna and he told me that Voom only has the one type antenna that he knows about. I then called Installs Inc. and asked about an upgrade and was told that I would have to work that out with the local guy that is doing the installs or with Voom. I think I am getting the run around but I don't know who to call. Please help!

It's probably best to get your own antenna setup and have the installer put it up. The installer is not likely to know much about DTV reception, and what he does know will be less than the members here or AVS could tell you.

I have found that my local installer knows nothing about OTA. I must admit that the past couple of weeks have been spent learning a lot about OTA myself. In everything that I have learned, I don't really trust my installer to deliver a product/installation that would be sufficient in my conditions.

Fortunantly, I actually spoke with someone knowledgeable at the company that handles my installation. He said that Voom will give a credit on any antenna, but it is a set amount. It doesn't matter what kind of antenna it is. I requested a Channel Master 4228 antenna for my installation. We'll see how all of that turns out.

Determining "proper product installation" is actually not very difficult. First, you go to Antennaweb.org and find out if you need both VHF AND UHF, or just UHF alone. It gives you the orientation azimuth to the towers, and will make antenna suggestions as well, though they are frequently overspec'd. I'd just print it out and give it to the installer. Most situations only require UHF, and as I've said before, you can buy the RatShack UHF for $22, and it works great out to about 40 miles, maybe more.

Lob

banoonish:The loacal installer is authorized by voom to spend $100.00 to get you the local channels ,even if he has to go out and buy a better antenna .I know this because my local installer told me this himself and told me that the stealth antenna was a basic antenna.If I were you I would call voom and tell them you know this information and they will resolve the issue for you.good luck.DIGITAL~DAN

I would also like to post a little information on how I have my instulation done:

I have a channel master 4221 four-bay-bowtie antenna with no preamp or amp just the receivers raw power(sometimes you can over amplify the antenna and hurt your reception)

I can pick up channels up to 90 miles from my house with no problem.I feel that I have one of the best setups one could possible have.I hope this helps some of you out there that are having problems with getting the OVER THE AIR DIGITALS to pick up.If there is any one out there that I can help please feel free to ask me and I will help you to the best of my ability.thanks alot and have a good day.

I like to add that "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> has been a great help to resolve policy issues as well. He works for Installs Inc and you may send him an email to get a bigger antenna.

DIGITAL~DAN said:
banoonish:The local installer is authorized by voom to spend $100.00 to get you the local channels ,even if he has to go out and buy a better antenna .I know this because my local installer told me this himself and told me that the stealth antenna was a basic antenna.If I were you I would call voom and tell them you know this information and they will resolve the issue for you.good luck.DIGITAL~DAN
I called Voom and the lady on the phone told me that they had contracted with a local company to do my installation and I would have to work the OTA antenna out with him. I called the guy and he told me that all he was told by Voom was to install the standard antenna that they furnish. He also told me that he knows that this antenna will not work for my location. I have emailed "<jharkins@installs.com>" to ask for help but have not received an answer yet. Looks like I may have to buy my own antenna and put it up myself.

banoonish said:
I called Voom and the lady on the phone told me that they had contracted with a local company to do my installation and I would have to work the OTA antenna out with him. I called the guy and he told me that all he was told by Voom was to install the standard antenna that they furnish. He also told me that he knows that this antenna will not work for my location. I have emailed "<jharkins@installs.com>" to ask for help but have not received an answer yet. Looks like I may have to buy my own antenna and put it up myself.

Wait until tomorrow. Joe does not work on Sundays... You might get a response from him tomorrow.

I have had the VOOM installers come out to my house 3 times already. The first time was for the installation of the dish and the stealth Ant. I wasnt happy with just getting CBS, Fox and UPN...I wanted more. So the second time the installers came out without the upgraded Ant that they were supposed to have. They were clueless to what the VOOM people had told me over the phone. Basically , that VOOM would pay the first 60 bucks towards the upgraded Ant and I would have to pay the rest above 60 bucks. Anyway, these installers the second time remounted the stealth at a higher point on my roof. For some reason this didnt improve things much. So, I called again and VOOM sent out another installer with an upgraded Ant that was 80 bucks above the 60 that VOOM was going to lay out. I told him to go ahead and mount it, he assured me that if it didnt improve anything that he would put the stealth back up. The upgraded Ant was a Wineguard...VHF and UHF. Huge Ant...and it didnt improve anything. So the stealth went back up.
This weekend I took it upon myself to remove the stealth and reinstall it to where it was the first time...a little lower on my roof , but it seems to work a little better there. Im getting CBS, Fox UPN, and ABC. The only problem is that CBS cuts in and out. when I move the ANT to the right...if I move it to the left then ABC goes out...and CBS comes in. I need a rotor. All this for local programming. My area has lots of trees and Im sure once Spiring has sprung Im going to have even more problems. All this being said...the Stealth Ant has worked the best out of everything I have ever tried. Including a radio shack UHF only Ant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts