Ota Asheville Nc Actually Swannanoa Nc East

sfollenius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Ota Asheville Signal issue 100% then dropping suddenly

Okay, I live in Asheville NC, there are alot of mountains where I live and OTA will definately be an issue. I called Dishnetwork to order and they said that "we show you can recieve NBC ABC CBS and FOX OTA, and I dont qualify for the national feed of the one HD channel they offer. I am not sure I know what they are basing my channel availability on, but antennaweb it says if I dont have trees or building over 30 feet tall I can get:

ABC only GREEN 23.1 miles

If i select over 30 feet tall (i am on the side of a mountain)

ABC RED

where is fox, cbs, and NBC?

They are around in HD, but two are about 55 miles away in SC and I am not sure about picking them up.

I have an 8 bay wingard and I can only pick up 1 HD channel not listed on antennaweb which is UNCHD. I havent elevated my antenna above the trees though, it just sits in my yard.

Problem with Signal 100% then dropping for a second or 2

Okay, I got it on the roof and can now UNCHD and also ABC and WB in HD. My only problem is I have the signal strenth pegged out at 100, but it droppes sometimes every few seconds for about 1 second and the audio cuts out really quick. When I look at the meter its 100, then will drop to about 69 for a split second, then back up to 100. Is my signal too high, maybe I should try different angles? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay I tried tweaking the antenna, it still drops suddenly. Its almost like something is causing interference. Can the cable run make this happen? It is about 50 feet right now, maybe an amp will help? I even tried elevating the antenna higher with no luck.

sfollenius said:
Okay, I got it on the roof and can now UNCHD and also ABC and WB in HD. My only problem is I have the signal strenth pegged out at 100, but it droppes sometimes every few seconds for about 1 second and the audio cuts out really quick. When I look at the meter its 100, then will drop to about 69 for a split second, then back up to 100. Is my signal too high, maybe I should try different angles? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
look to see if any trees or limbs are in your way sat can only go in one dirr to work

Hope you dont think I am aiming a dish. This is an 8 bay antenna. I know trees can affect the signal, there are trees and mountains everywhere, guess thats the problem. Just pretty weird its 100% and drops every few seconds to 40-50 or so but only for a split second. This will happen even when I dont have any winds near my house.

You may be picking up a reflection. Re-aiming in a different direction might fix the problem. So might a less sensitive antenna. It is hard to generalize since every house has different circumstances. This is where the "art" comes in. Good luck!

Eddie

I got this pm from someone else. I am going to try ABC from the tri-cities. but they are not full power. Looks like maybe Fox could be promising. I will post results when I get ir done!

I live in the Tri-Cities (near Kingsport, TN) so I am familiar with your area. You do not indicate whether you receive the analog signals from Greenville (Ch. 4 and 21) and Spartanburg (ch. 7) with your current antenna. If you get those channels ghost and snow free, you should not have trouble getting the digital signals from the same towers. If you are north of Asheville, you might try aiming your antenna to the north and see if you can receive Tri-Cities digital stations. The Fox station's transmitter is located on Viking Mountain south of Greeneville, TN and is less than 35 miles from the Asheville city limits. They are broadcasting on channel 39 (analog) and channel 38 (digital with 1 million Watts of power). CBS, which transmits from Holston Mountain near Elizabethton, TN, is on channel 11 (analog) and channel 58 (digital with 1 million Watts). NBC (also from Holston Mtn.) is on channel 5 (analog) and channel 28 digital (with 182,000 Watts). ABC (also from Holston Mtn.) is on channel 19 (analog) and channel 27 (digital with 200,000 Watts.) One of the best antennas I have ever used is a Channel Master 4228. It is an 8 bow tie flat panel for UHF only that has very high gain.
Good luck on getting the OTAs. This is one of the prices we pay for all this beautiful mountain scenery!!

Okay, no go on the Tri-Cities stations. I moved my 8 bay antenna around my yard at many different angles with same results. 100% signal then drops to nothing in a split second then back up. I then bought a set top amplified antenna, tried both amplified and non amplified with same results, audio dropouts and quick dropouts every few seconds. I read on avsforum that this nbc affiliate had trouble with their equipment and some stb's are having troubles with their signals. I know my stb is fine as it picks up unchd without any hickups.

Scott

If anyone is reading this, (it doesnt seem that way) I posted at the AVS forum. Folks there seem to think its an electrical interference, perhaps in the electrical current. I tried to disconnect many motorized things, other than my wireless network to no avail. I am right next the kitchen next to the fridge, maybe I will have to unplug the fridge to watch tv!

sfollenius, I doubt its electromagnetic interference (EMI) a problem newer electronics still have is radio frequency interference (RFI). Do you live near an amature radio operator or a commercial transmitter tower?

I dont know, there are antennas all over the mountains around me up high, but they look like cell towers to me. I am not really sure whats around. I am hoping that when the leaves fall off the trees it may make a difference. Its gotta be something, pegging out at 100% then just dropping 50% for a split second. Somedays do seem better than others, but it never goes away altogether. I tried disconnecting the wireless network to no avail, didnt think that was the problem. I thought the 8 bay antenna was pulling in too strong a signal thats why I tried the smaller indoor antenna.

Well after all of that, I bought a new STB after reading about compatibility issues with older Generation chips and WLOS. I bought an accurian from rat shack with the 89.88 deal, and problem fixed! I have now figured out that the HIRDE8 directv hughes is not compatible with WLOS. I have confirmed this with another user who had the same problem with WLOS with this reciever. Thanks all for your diligent efforts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)