OTA channels with D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good info in this thread. I didn't know about the two recording limit with the AM21. Glad you guys brought that up. I'm looking hard at directv when by commitment with dish is up.

I like the mrv... Alot... Almost enough to switch.

The recording issue is not with the AM21, it's the way the DVR is set up. The AM 21 doesn't do any recording.

Why would you expect it to pick up something that D* doesn't have in their DB ?
Why shouldn't it?

Timer recordings haven't been disabled, have they? I have a nagging recollection that they no longer offer the "tune to" and "record external" timer options in the HD DVR so I suppose anything can happen.

Why shouldn't it?

Timer recordings haven't been disabled, have they? I have a nagging recollection that they no longer offer the "tune to" and "record external" timer options in the HD DVR so I suppose anything can happen.

Nope, Timer recordings are listed under Manual.

I think I was thinking of something else when I posted the previous post.

HR22 and an AM21.

I receive every single OTA channel that's available in my area.

Which means every sub channel each broadcaster offers. in one case 8 sub channels plus the parent channel. ALL with guide data.

It's never been an issue.

Will the AM21 work with an H21 receiver? What do I have to do/switch to get OTA working through a DTV receiver?

Will the AM21 work with an H21 receiver? What do I have to do/switch to get OTA working through a DTV receiver?

Yes it will.

Unplug your HR21, plug it into the back of the AM21.
Connect the cable between the two units and go thru the set up process for your OTA set up in the menus.

Everything will be integrated into the guide just like it would any other time.

But I have an H21 receiver, not an HR21 receiver. Does it make a difference if I don`t have a DVR?

When I check on solid signal it just mentions the DVR's

DIRECTV AM21 Off-Air Dual Tuner for the HR21/PRO HR22 HR23 and HR24

But I have an H21 receiver, not an HR21 receiver. Does it make a difference if I don`t have a DVR?

Hmmm,
I don't have any Non DVR units anymore, I would imagine it would work, but cannot verify it.
Do you have a USB connection on the back of your H21 ?
Usually it's in the middle somewhere.

So you can only record 2 shows at a time. If you are recording 1 OTA and 1 Sat you are only using two of the 4 available tuners does that mean you could watch a diferent third show live while recording two

Sorry no! You can only record or watch two channels at a time. However, if you are recording two channels, you can watch a previously recorded show.

I am very much considering the switch from E* to D* and was wondering the same.

I want to do the whole house DVR service which for me means 1 HD-DVR plus 2 HD receivers.

I get many OTA channels from a DMA other than my own. (I am in the NYC DMA and can easily get the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA channels OTA). Can I get the OTA channels on all the receivers D* would supply to me?

Also, some say the E* OTA tuners are not very sensitive. How would someone rate the D* OTA tuners in this respect?

I am very much considering the switch from E* to D* and was wondering the same.

I want to do the whole house DVR service which for me means 1 HD-DVR plus 2 HD receivers.

I get many OTA channels from a DMA other than my own. (I am in the NYC DMA and can easily get the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA channels OTA). Can I get the OTA channels on all the receivers D* would supply to me?

Also, some say the E* OTA tuners are not very sensitive. How would someone rate the D* OTA tuners in this respect?

You would need a AM21 for each recvr.

FWIW: My installer advised me not to get the AM21. When I want to watch a sub-channel, I call up the ANT1 on my HDTV. There is never a program that I would want to record anyway, just old shows and local WX. Oh yeah! And Judge Judy.

FWIW: My installer advised me not to get the AM21. When I want to watch a sub-channel, I call up the ANT1 on my HDTV. There is never a program that I would want to record anyway, just old shows and local WX. Oh yeah! And Judge Judy.

For most people there isn't much there, the local weather map is nice though. I took my antenna down a few months ago, I was using it with my HR20s.

I keep myOTA antenna due to the bad weather around here of late.
When the signal does go out, the OTA comes to the rescue. :up

My local FOX USE to have a Doppler Radar on a sub channel that was VERY nice to have .... till they were required to take it down to show more children shows.... :rolleyes:

Some of us have HD displays that do not have ATSC tuners in them. That's the one option that my primary (Mits 48413) display doesn't give me. I haven't bothered adding a Set top digital tuner to the set up.

So the AM21 is a great addition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)